Search

Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 05:28 PM
Meghan

Belgium

Can anyone tell me what there is to do that is most exciting in Belgium? I am going on a trip from London to Paris to Beligum to Amsterdam. I only have two days in Belgium and I would like to do everything possible! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 1998, 05:11 AM
Nancy

Meghan, <BR> <BR>I recently considered a trip to Belgium but did not go. The research I did seem to point mainly to Brugge. It sounds like a beautiful city about an hour north of Brussels. I don't have the websites I looked at but I started by just doing a search on Belgium. Hope that is helpful. <BR> <BR>Nancy <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 1998, 05:48 AM
anne

There are lots of previous postings on Belgium - including some of mine about Brugges. Really good info - search on Belgium on this forum. <BR>We spent a long weekend in Belgium last Feb., and spent the majority of our time in Brugge - a lovely medieval town and hour by train from Brussels.Let me know if you'd like more specific info.

Old Nov 11th, 1998, 12:21 PM
Wes Fowler

Meghan, <BR>Belgium is one of the most delightful and underrated countries in western Europe. Consider that it's less than two hundred years old, has three official languages, over 400 varieties of superb beers, more Michelin starred restaurants per capita than France and a population that looks for any excuse to put on costumes and have a street festival! <BR> <BR>In Brussels, do visit the Grand' Place, one of the major city squares of Europe on a par with Venice's St. Marks Plaza. Walk through the section Ilot Sacre just north of the Place to see the restaurants and their opulent displays of seafood. (Don't dine there, however; prices are outrageous!) Walk west of the Place past the Bourse and the Saint-Nicolas church to Sainte-Catherine (Sint-Katelijne) street where there are a number of good, inexpensive restaurants. Back at the Place, just past the northeast corner are the Galeries Saint-Hubert, a covered shopping mall. Be sure to visit the Grand'Place at night when the guild houses and town hall are illuminated; it's an impressive sight. Consider going to the Toone puppet theatre in the Ilot Sacre area. It's been presenting operas and stage plays for over seven generations. <BR> <BR>Do dine on mussels and french fries. Do try the lembec beers (after brewing in the conventional fashion, fresh fruit: peaches, cherries or raspberries are added for a second fermentation) Known as "ladies' beer" lembecs taste like fruity champagne. <BR> <BR>Do consider Brugges, a lovely city an hour from Brussels. Visit the church of Our Lady to see a lovely Madonna by Michelangelo. <BR>Consider Ghent and its old town on the way to Brugges. Ghent's old harbor area, Korenlei, has some impressive riverside homes with stunning facades, all dominated by the Gravensteen castle looming in the background. Visit Sint-Baafskathedrall and view the Flemish masterpiece "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" by Van Eyck.

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 05:51 PM
Barry

We have made arrangements to stay a week in a condo at Knokke-Heist Belgium next June and will be coming from London. What is the best way to get between the two? There are 4 of us and the budget is important. <BR>Also we are looking for things to do in that vicinity. We intend to make a series of day trips from there. Is Paris within driving distance? <BR>

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 12:27 AM
Cobbaert

Want to go to Bruges? Visit their Website: www.brugge.be <BR> <BR>Enjoy your surf. <BR>