Search

Belgium

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Pat

Belgium

We are planning on spending several days in Belgium en route to Paris. Do you know of hotels, centrally located for walking to major sites, in Bruges and Brussels for three people who would like to share a room, if possible. Would two nights in each city be sufficient to see the major sites? Any personal information on Brussels and Bruges would be appreciated.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:08 AM
xxx

Two nights in each city would be plenty - Bruges is much nicer than Brussels although both are amazing at night!!<BR><BR>Most hotels should be able to accommodate the 3 of you together - althoughcan't recommend anywhere specific!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:21 AM
BTilke

If trying to decide between Bruges and Brussels, here's a quote from Justin Webb -BBC Brussels correspondent about to move to Washington. "Brussels is the filthiest, most dilapidated capital city in the European Union-yes, even including Athens. The grime here seems to have affected the soul of the place."<BR>LOL!! Oh well, can't please everybody...<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Jay

Last week I drove from Amsterdam to Bruges and then on to Brussels (Only city I could return the rental car in Belgium) and then took the Thalys to Paris. <BR><BR>I loved Bruges and the 2 days I spent there could easily have been made 3. As for Brussels, it was huge and seemed much more of an industrial city. If you have 4 days to spend in Belgium, I would think about 2 or 3 days in Bruges, maybe a day in Gent and maybe a day in Brussels. I think you will be disappointed with Brussels after Bruges and Gent seemed it would have been nice for a day between the two cities. I chose not to spend any time in Brussels and simply returned the car and caught the train to Paris.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:43 AM
trying

We trained into Brussels from A'dam, by approx. noon. Spent the rest of the day in Brussels and the night. Next day we wandered a little more (some of us took a city tour), then headed to Bruges for lunch, spending two nights there (a day and 1/2) returning the morning of our third day in Bruges. That was a nice stay in both places. I could have probably spent another night in Brussels, to have some time to get beyond the Grand Place.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Kristen

Just returned from a week in Belgium...stayed in Bruges 6 nights and Brussels for 1. Bruges was so wonderful I could have spent even more time there and been extremely happy. You should check out www.brugge.be for information on accomodations in Bruges. We stayed at a holiday flat which might be a good option for you - they are often cheaper than hotels and are also quite nice...the website will have a complete list of holiday flats in the area.<BR><BR>For beer, you MUST go to De Garre and 't Bruges Biertje...doesn't get much better than these two places!