Reload this Page >

Belfast -hotels, etc.

Search

Belfast -hotels, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Renee

Belfast -hotels, etc.

I am planning a trip around Northern Ireland in late June and will be staying in Belfast for 3 days. Does anyone have suggestions of good hotels, restaruants, things to do in Belfast?? Would a train trip to Dublin be out of the question?<BR>Thank You!

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:04 PM
John H

Hi, Renee,<BR><BR>I was in Northern Ireland on business a few years ago. Stayed at the Hilton in Belfast -- a nice business person's hotel, easy 5 minute walk to the railway station and maybe 10 minute walk into the heart of Belfast. If I had to choose again, I might try the Europa hotel on the "Golden Mile" or something smaller with more local charm. I'll have to see if I can find any notes on or receipts from the restaurants where I ate. I am a fan of pub food, which is always a good option for lunch or dinner (try the Crown Liquor Saloon on Great Victoria Street or the Duke of York near St. Anne's Cathedral). Nothing overly remarkable to see in the main part of Belfast: you the Parliament building, a nice pedestrian shopping zone, Queen's University, St. Anne's cathedral. <BR><BR>If you have a car, you might venture into the Catholic or Protestant areas to look at the variety of political murals in West Belfast (Protestant Shankill Road and Catholic Falls Road) - though as a single woman you might rather not do this, especially since you will be arriving fairly near the potential July 12 flashoint during "Marching Season". (For more on this, see: http://europe.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/.../marching.html ) Having grown up with news headlines on Belfast almost nightly, I just had to see these areas and the murals, as well as metal wall that separates the two areas and the huge gates that, if necessary, are used to close off streets connecting the Catholic and Protestant neighborhoods.<BR><BR>I would definitely do a day trip to Dublin; it's an easy two hour train ride each way and well worth doing. Walk around the Trinity College and the Book of Kells, Christchurch Cathedral, the pedestrian mall, and the Temple Bar arts area. (The Eyewitness Travel Guide for Ireland has nice city walks laid out). <BR><BR>You might also want to rent a car for a day to do the northern coastal drive, visiting one of the distilleries (Bushmills), Carrickfergus Castle and/or the Giant's Causeway (37,000 eerily-regular hexagonal basalt columns in one spot along the northern coast). The road along the coast is quite nice to do during daylight hours. And, my best meal in Northern Ireland was taken along the coast at the Ramore Restaurant in the town of Portrush -- one of the finest restaurants in Northern Ireland and quite reasonable, as I recall.<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful. Have a great trip.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Margaret

Hi Renee,<BR><BR>Try www.goireland.com. I was born in Belfast and now live in the US, but I try to go back as often as possible. I think you will enjoy Belfast and the Antrim Coast drive very much.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!<BR>Margaret

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Renee

John,<BR>Thanks for all the information you provided! I think it will help a lot.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Leighann

I won't be quite as detailed as John, but I hope I can help, too.<BR><BR>I agree that while the Hilton is nice, it's location wouldn't be the best for your needs. And I'm not overly impressed by the Europa. Try Jury's Hotel. It's right down the street from the Europa, and it's cheaper and the rooms are nicer.<BR><BR>For lunch, try Nick's Warehouse. They have great specials for about 6 pounds (about $9). The Crown's food is fine, but nothing to write home about. Of course, it's pretty handy to your hotel. Regardless of where you eat, definitely have a drink in there. Also try Cutter's Wharf. It's away from the city centre, but it's right on the Lagan River, and does some good pub food. The best Chinese place is Sun Key on Donegal Pass (I may have the name wrong, but I know the street is correct), just off the Dublin Road.<BR><BR>Sites: take the tour of the City Hall. It's reportedly one of the most beautiful city halls in Europe. If there's a show on, head to the Opera House. It's been bombed a few times, but still retains a historic feel. There are some small museums strewn around town that I've never been in, but look interesting. I've also heard that Linen Hall Library has some good exhibits.<BR><BR>For live music, try the Limelight or Empire (current stuff) or the Rotterdam (traditional).<BR><BR>Belfast now has a professional hockey team, the Belfast Giants. They've been wildly popular, selling out most matches. The season may be over by the time you get there, but if you're interested, head over to the Odyssey center, across the Lagan.<BR><BR>I think they do boat tours along the Lagan these days. I took one a few years ago, and found it really interesting.<BR><BR>There's a small zoo in Belfast. I've never been in there, but there are some nice short hiking trails that run alongside it, from the Belfast Castle (also a good place to eat). You can walk up to Cave Hill and see the caves where Wolfe Tone and other revolutionaries (interestingly enough, most of the early revoluntaries were Protestant) hid out from the British army.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:13 PM
John H

You are very welcome, Renee. If I am able to dig up any old receipts or items of interest related to Belfast, I will pass them on in the future.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Renee<BR>I am from Belfast and sometimes miss the night life there.<BR>My favourite hotel is the Wellington Park - a liitle bit more "personal" I think.<BR>If you like the theatre try the Lyric - some great plays and usually good acting.<BR>I like the Linenhall bar and it has live music at the weekends (at least it used to!).<BR>I hope you enjoy Belfast - you should definitely go to Dublin, the train service is very good.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Kathleen

Hi Renee,<BR><BR>To elaborate on John's response, seeing the murals is very much a part of the Belfast experience. There are numerous taxi tours which will take you around to the various mural sites. One that I've heard recommended is Reality Tours (I think), which a friend of mine had arranged by his hotel. <BR><BR>It's not necessary to drive, nor is it necessary to walk around. There are Black taxis near the city centre which would take you, but if you're worried about that, ask at your hotel.<BR><BR>Have fun,<BR>Kathleen