Search

Belated Greek Honeymoon in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belated Greek Honeymoon in April

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece from April 18 - May 1, 2017.

We would like to visit 1 or 2 islands and spend 1-2 nights in Athens at the end of the trip.

We are 25 yo and quite active, but this vacation we would like to focus on relaxation.

Good food and charming areas to wander are definitely priorities. We would also love to visit some wineries, see some beautiful beaches and take some nice hikes.

Our budget is around 150-250 Euros a night.

We would like to avoid places that are overflowing with tourists, but we don't want to spend too much time traveling between islands.

I'm enchanted by Santorini and am wondering if we may miss the bulk of the crowd since we are traveling a bit early in the season.

If you have recommendations for hotels, excursions, or restaurants, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, Lily
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:50 PM

>>> I'm enchanted by Santorini and am wondering if we may miss the bulk of the crowd since we are traveling a bit early in the season.

I don't think you are early enough.
For example, if you want to look at the cruise boat load, you can do a simple search by month at www.cruisecritic.com find a cruise/advance search function. This only lists boats covered by cruisecritic, so there are many other boats, so the listing is the minimum scheduled.

Here is the result, by month, of cruise scheduled to stop by Santorini in 2017 per search:

2017:
March 14 ships
April 36
May 56
June 27
July 38
Aug 43
Sep 40
Oct 36
Nov 5

To actually see exactly which day the ships dock, you need to do more research. I was there last time in Sept. Everyday, there were up to five boats in port. While not all of them were 2000+ passenger mega ships, there was no way out of feeling the crowd at popular sites during the shore excursion period.

>>> We would like to avoid places that are overflowing with tourists.

In case of Santorini as well as Mykonos, everyday was like this. However, only a few boats, usually upscale small ones, stay overnight. You can enjoy Santorini in tranquility during early morning and late evenings when budget cruises leave the ports. Of course, you can stay in areas outside the cruise boat excursions.

There are islands like Paros and Naxos very well connected to Athens by frequent boats. But they don't have cruise boat ports. They escape massive explosion of tourists during the day not to mention they actual have prettier beaches and being cheaper to stay than Mykonos or Santorini.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Santorini is spectacular (the highlight of our trip few years ago), and always features on a honeymooner itinerary.This is a very helpful site - http://santorinidave.com/.

I would fly into Athens, take an immediate connecting flight (book direct on Aegean/Olypmic websites well in advance) into Santorini (spend 4-5 nights there staying in Imerovigli or Oia), then a ferry to a chosen island (e.g. Naxos /Mykonos / Paros - read up which Cycladic island appeals to you) and fly back to Athens, spending 2-3 nights there before your return flight home.

April is early in the season, so you will avoid crowds - I'd actually check that everything you'd like to see/visit is open.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 08:11 PM

You should be aware that while the beaches may be fine for sunbathing, the sea will be TOO cold to do more than dip a toe in, before May 12 or so. I'm a Northeasterner, swim L.I. Sound, M. Vineyard, even MA ... but May 8-9 proved too Brrrrr for me. Also, Greek pools are unheated, so just as cold. This may not matter to you, just saying.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies!
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 02:43 AM

Santorini would be a good choice for 2-3 nights because of the spectacular scenery, and it does have vineyards too. Oia is quiet in the morning that time of year before cruisers arrive, and again after the sunset peepers depart for Fira.

An easy 2 hr ferry ride from Santorini is Naxos, which has traditional villages as well as beaches (which I agree will be too cold for swimming and possibly even sunbathing that time of year). Yesterday it snowed for the second time since Christmas on the Cyclades and Crete as well as mainland Greece.