Being a foreign exchange student

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello im posting here to see if anyone can give me any feed back on personal experiences for example if they participated in an exchange. Secondly if your son or daughter participated, how did they convince you? Also applies if you participated how did you convince your parents. My major concern is I would be doing it for a semester or year and it would be my senior year of high school. Im questioning if it will interfere with college applications/admissions. The idea was proposed to me by a college counselor because i want to major in international relations. A year abroad during high school can increase my chances of getting into a prestigious college like a georgetown with a wonderful school of foreign service. Unfortunately my counselor was completely uneducated on the matter. The company ive received a brochure from is AFS. If any one else knows of a program they did it with feel free to post. Anything is welcome. Thank you
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:26 PM

I was an exchange student at 17 but it was through People-to-People Corporation (sister cities program) and I had graduated H.S. already so my first year of college was spent in France. Though not part of a specific education program (as in, I was the only American enrolled in the "Lettres" section ) my home university transferred the credits for the most part. So if you live in a large city, you might want to check out if there is a sister-cities scholarship available too.

If you are a responsible person and a good student, it shouldn't really be a matter of convincing you're parents. Parents want what' best for their kids. This is a great experience, definitely a plus for future plans, so it's more about specifics and logistics that anything else. How reputable is the school/company, how much (parental) financial aid is required. The more information you provide them the better/easier for them.

I would imagine the AFS has former students who can give references/testimonials as to the program. They seems to have a good reputation. The only negative from my personal stance with AFS was that you didn't get to pick the country. Being a French major, this presented a problem for me. For you that doesn't seem to be an issue.

I wish you luck! It's a wonderful experience.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Doesn't pay to type fast and not proof read...that should read "your parents" followed by "what's". Sorry!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:58 PM

I would be interested from the other end, as well. I have thought about hosting a student ( I have a teen and two younger kids), it would be fun and interesting for us all.

My family hosted a young man through AFS years ago, in the mid 60's. I barely remember it, but my mother did very well: the young man was from Turkey (both my parents had lived in Turkey and were fluent), probably from a smaller town. He expected to be waited on hand and foot, and my mom had to explain that that's not how we do things here. I'm sure it was a learning experience for everyone. And, before I get flamed, young people from anywhere in the world sometimes (frequently) expect to be waited on. I did not mean to single out a country that I happen to love.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM

momliz,

I have a friend who hosts students from our local college.

So far she has had students from Spain- a 17 yrs old, Japan - a retired teacher and Korea - a 25 yr old wanting to improve his English.

The first 2 were short term visitors but the last was here for 4 months - she cried when he left!

She thinks it's good for her children to meet different cultures and it certainly expands their horizons - although they didn't like sushi
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM

what language(s) have you studied?

I think the most important decision is if you go to a language school or mainstream through the local high school.

Learn about what you will be actually studying in each case, and the conditions of your program with the families.

If you have serious sports or music you will need to continue, then find out if that will be respected on you program.

It is also important to know what support group is in place for you at destination.

I, personally, would not want to miss my entire senior year, so maybe an intense language program for the first semester will help you learn more language skills and history, etc., than a mainstream program where the students are preparing for college entrance exams themselves.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:00 PM

American schools K-12, are academically far behind European schools. I suggest that students from the USA try an 11th grade school. The course/classes should be pertinent to their college plan. I suggest a junior year as this will then permit them to participate in all of their 'home school' senior class events.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:21 AM

I am actually a former AFS Student myself in 1985. I also wanted to get into International Relations as well. Well I am in my 30's now and not in International relations but my jopb has many International aspects to it and I now live in Ireland after spending most of my life in the U.S.

I would highly reccommend AFS from my personal experiences. AFS is different when i went on the programme as they try to give you an experience different from your own. My parents are from ireland and we lived in NJ and I wanted to go to England, France or Switzerland....they sent me to Finland and it was the best experience as it was totally different from my own background and experiences. I could only do the summer and I was 17 at the time as was one other girl and the others were a bit younger.

It gave me a good introduction to a new culture and difficult language (I could understand at the end of the summer and speak a lot). I would drfinately do it and I think it will only be a benefit if this is the career you would like to take. Can you choose the country these days? I knew people who went to Indonesia, MAlaysia, India, Switzerland, New Zealand etc. My best friend in SChool was a NZ exchange Student our last year in School. After my summer abroad my parents took a Student from Costa Rica for a year and he is still considered a member of the family.

Overall I would take the opportunity if you can now. You could still apply to colleges and defer for a year telling them why. Its also a good experience to experience a different school system without the pressure of the grading system counting towards your transcript which it won't.

Let me know if you have any further queries on AFS. Also I remember we had a get together 21 days before we left in one of the NY colleges that helped us with some cultural issues we may come against and how to deal with this. I feel they did not dump you in a country because you paid for it. They were selective of the students and made sure that you were looked after. If something is not working they will switch you to another family.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Sorry that was 2 days before we left not 21!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi Mb,

I have some experience advising college students.

Am I corect that your counselor suggested this program because you have completed nearly all of your required courses and would just be coasting through your senior year?

If so, study abroad would be a definite plus.

If not, study abroad would be a definite plus.

At worst, you could defer your admission to University for a year, and take beginning courses at a Community College or get some job experience when you return.

Have you taken your SATs?

Best of luck to you.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Top colleges won't care about a semester or year abroad. They care that you are a top student with highest possible GPA and high SAT's, SAT II's and ACT's, and that you took all the most challenging classes (AP and the AP exams) available at your high school. They also expect you to have a 4 years of a foreign language.

I don't consider Georgetown highly selective (acceptance rate is 21%)but they do expect (not require as some top schools do) you to take the SAT II subject tests, in addition to the SAT, which will be difficult if you are out of the country.

Highly selective colleges keep track of many things about prospective students through a point system on your application. They know whether you visted campus and some even keep track of such things as whether a parent contacts them(points off your app) or if the student contacted them. They also have a school profile from your school and know what classes are offered and compare your transcript.

To compare colleges take a look at www.collegboard.com. They give acceptance rates, test score averages, etc. for all US colleges.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:30 AM

Many years ago in college I did a semester abroad and lived with a French family in St. Malo. Personally, I would wait until college. To this day, it remains one of the best times of my life. Many people get a chance to "see" a country, far less get the opportunity to really experience the culture.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM

I was a Rotary exchange student, living with two families in France (in the countryside, not Paris). It was a great experience as I lucked out to have two oustanding host families. However, I'm not sure I would have wanted to do it during my senior year. Junior year would be better. Also, wouldn't it be more difficult to do your college applications--and interviews--from abroad? (I did early decision so had my college acceptance in hand by November of my senior year.)
It's a great experience if you can manage it, but I think you need to speak to an advisor with more experience with foreign exchange programs AND some students from your area who have done an exchange.