Beer in Brugges

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 01:39 PM
Meg

Beer in Brugges

We're looking for a bar or cafe that's centrally located in Brugges that is easy to find. We don't have anything specific in mind but are trying to meet up with some other travellers we know that will be in Brugges at the same time. It's the first visit for both parties, so we have no idea where to meet. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 01:56 PM
wes fowler

Meg,
How about the 't Brugs Beertje? It's a Brugger cafe with more than 300 varieties of Belgian beers. Where is it? As you face the bell tower in Market Square look for Steenstraat. It's a main shopping street that runs to the right of the bell tower. Walk down Steenstraat three blocks. Kemelstraat, a very short street is on the right,'t Brugs Beertje is at #5 Kemelstraat. Try some of the Belgian cheeses and farm pates along with the beers.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:07 PM
kathy

Meg, Without any hesitation, trust Wes. His recommndations for Brugge are the best! Trust me, we took them and were well pleased. His suggestions for eating in the area are mmmmmmm! Check SEARCH above for his responses.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 09:46 AM
Diane

Anyone in the Maryland/DC area who'd like a taste of Belgian Beers (great with Moules and frites, etc) we've found the tiny Mannikin Pis in Olney MD to be delightful. Expect to make it a LONG leisurely evening...but it's worth it. Can't wait to hit Wes' recommended spot in Brugges, however!

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 12:59 PM
Meg

Thanks again, Wes. (You responded to my question about Friesland a few weeks ago.) I saw the beer place you recommended in my guide book but haven't been able to locate a good map, so I couldn't figure out how to meet our party at a place I didn't know how to get to. We'll definitely give it a try.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 10:25 PM
Bill Yenne

For Meg:

Cafes in Brugge with good beer:

THIS IS YOUR PLACE: The only place in the world where you can get Westmalle Trappist on draft is at "Pietje Pek" a neat little eatery at Sint Jacobstraat #13. The food is good too. Last time I was in Brugge, I went twice, and I am going back in July.

Also in Brugge, is a wonderful beer bar: Brugs Beertje Which is the "Bear of Brugge" (Bear in Flemish is "Beer")!! As he says, this place is on Kemelstraat, which is an alley one block north of Simon Steven Plein (on the left). It has 300+ beers, mainly in bottles, but a dozen or so on draft.

Wheat beer (Witbier) fans can check out the Hoegarden visitors center at the north corner of the Markt straight across from the Belfry.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 09:55 AM
Elizabeth

Hi Bill,
Sorry I beg to differ on the only place in the "world" to get Westmalle on tap is at the Piejte Pek. Try the Westmalle Cafe in Westmalle, directly across from the Westmalle Abbey where the beer is actually brewed. The monks don't let anybody in, as we were informed by a long time waiter at the Cafe.

We meet Meg in Brugge in October 1999, but unfortunately the t'Brugs Beertje was not open on a Tuesday at 1pm.
For you beer lovers out there, Make sure you always check your opening times when visiting Brew Cafes.
I'm sure after I next trip to Belgium in May, I will have handfuls of advice for the beer connoisseur.