beer and chocolate tour

Search

beer and chocolate tour

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beer and chocolate tour

We will be taking a beer and chocolate tour through Belgium and Germany in May 2008. Any suggetions for places to enjoy either would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM

You must have some itinerary in mind. What's the plan, and maybe someone can recommend some alternative stops?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM

With almost 1,300 breweries in Germany, it will be quite a trip ;-)

Since Cologne is near the Belgian border, you can sample the Kölsch beer there, and also get to see the Chocolate Museum.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

We will probably spend 4 days in each country, starting in Brussels. Our hope is to seek out excellent chocolate whereever it may be. I guess I would say that great chocolate is more important than the beer. We think we can find great beer almost anywhere. Any suggestions for chocolate are greatly appreciated. We will be renting a car, so we are mobile in both countries. Neither my wife or I have been to Belgium, she has been to Germany, but it was several years ago.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM

When you combine Belgium with Germany, I recommend a tour through the Rheinland with Köln, Düsseldorf, Aachen.

As Cowboy said, in Köln, the Chocolate Museum will be a highlight of your trip:

http://www.schokoladenmuseum.de/index_e.html

Köln is also famous for the small breweries which produce a local beer,called Kölsch: Früh, Sion, Päffgen, Küppers, Malzmühle... (all with restaurants)

And Köln has: the Cathedral, 12 Romanesque churches, Roman ruins, the Roman-Germanic-Museum (!!!), world-class art museums...

Düsseldorf has also a local specialty beer, called Altbier. Recommendable breweries (with restaurants) are: Uerige, Schlüssel, Füchschen.

And Düsseldorf has: A charming old town with Germany's most active restaurant&bar scene, the river Rhein, Germany's most elegant shopping street (Königsallee), outstanding modern-art museums..

In the area, you find also the Neanderthal with a first-class Museum, which is definitely worth a visit!!!

Aachen is UNESCO World Heritage with a charming old town, the cathedral, where Charlemagne was crowned in the year 800, a beautiful medieval city hall, spas and a very beautiful small restaurant, the Postwagen, in an ancient building.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM

If you make it to Brugge, try Dumon...especially their caramels. Best I've had anywhere.

I'm sad that chocolate is more important than beer...sigh... I would take the opposite point of view and say you can find chocolate everywhere, but good beer is worth seeking!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM

best chocolates are belgian made with venezuelan chuao cacao! good luck lavici
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I bought chocolates from 4 different Belgian stores earlier this summer at different price ranges. All were very good.

The most expensive was Mary Chocolatier in Brussels. They are the suppliers to the Belgian Royal family. Because it is not in the main tourist section, we had to go out of our way to find the store and we were the only customers at the time of my visit. That was nice because most other stores are crowded. The store is understated and elegant and we were waited on by a polite, professional sales person who didn't rush you but made you feel a little pampered. I highly recommend adding it to your tour.

Oh, and chocolate is definitely more important than beer!!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM

While enjoying our trip to Germany and Belgium we searched for the perfect chocolate...not the truffles, carmels, expensive candies, but real wonderful luscious chocolate. To my utmost surprise the chocolate I loved the most was available in grocery stores, at the airport, all over...sort of a generally available every day type of chocolate - Cote d'Or Noir Puur. It is a Belgian made subsidiary of Kraft foods.
And it was half the price in the grocery outside of the town of Brugges. Same brand was also sold at the more expensive stores in town.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. they have all been very helpful!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Here are a few more chocolatiers in Brussels to add to your list - somewhat off the beaten track, however. They were recommended in a guide to Brussels that I bought a few months ago, the "Brussels Insider", published by local magazine the Bulletin.

Frederic Blondeel: "Blondeel has created a range of delicate, subtle chocolates based around fresh herbs and spices (...) flavoured with fresh aromatic infusions such as mint, basil and coriander, which are then balanced with the flavours of fruit." shop and café at 24 Quai aux Briques, tel 02 502 2131

Laurent Gerbaud: "...inspired by the flavours of East Asia, Gerbaud's calling card is the combination of top-quality low sugar chocolate with grilled, often salted nuts or sharp, juicy dried fruits" - available from AM Sweet on rue des Chartreux.

Jean François Vaux, AKA Jean le Chocolatier. "His original ranges include aperitif chocolates based around flavours such as cumin and olive, and a selection constructed around the aromas of teas produced by Mariage Frères". 18 Avenue du Prince de Ligne (Uccle), 02 374 9280

Of course, in Brussels you must stop by Pierre Marcolini on Place du Sablon, and Whittamer, on the same place. And of course Mary Chocolatier, as mentioned above.

For less expensive chocolates, I rather like Léonidas - I think they are more original and varied than the range at Neuhaus or Godiva (incidentally I find Godiva to be very poor value for money - expensive but really nothing special at all).