Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Been to Torcello? Ever cruised the Venice lagoon with "Eolo"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Rex

Putting some finishing touches on my trip to Italy next month, and I am trying to decide whether we want to spend the money (a lot!!) on a one-day cruise of the Venice lagoon with Eolo - - http://www.cruisingvenice.com - - here is an excerpt from their website: <BR> <BR>"The Eolo is one of the few remaining bragozzo boats, which was typically used on the Venetian lagoon. These once common sail <BR>boats had been used for fishing since the days of the Serenissima Republic." <BR> <BR>There are many stunning photos of the boat and places it visits (click on "Photo Gallery") on their site. <BR> <BR>I would be very appreciative to hear from anyone who has used this service - - or even anyone who has visited Torcello, by any other means. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance... <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 07:48 AM
wendy

Rex, <BR>It IS a wonderful boat...and historic as well! I enjoyed the voyage, but you are right, it is a lot of money! I've been to Venice often, so it was different and interesting... but I don't know how many times you've been to Venice, if it is your first trip, I might opt not to, but after many trips, I enjoyed it! <BR> <BR>The views were stunning and to listen to stories of history were truly enlightening...

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Rex

It's quite the dilemma, Wendy, and perhaps I will write to you (about this, and Assisi as well). It's my fifth time, my wife's fourth - - but for the other two couples (her parents and uncle/aunt), the first to Italy at all. We are currently planned to stay in Venice for 36 hours (one over night), but since the Pope will not be in Rome on Wednesday (May 9), my wife is pushing for us to add 24 add'l hours to Venice. She feels like we never get past the "introduction" to Venice. Some truth to that, but not totally. and for the other four, the "introduction" will, once again be appropriate. Of course, it will all be new to them. <BR> <BR>Her parents may not be very vigorous walkers, so that's one appeal of this cruise. Neither my wife or I have ever been to Burano, so that's one idea (for which we don't need Eolo, of course). Did your experience on the boat include a stop at Torcello? (perhaps not included with the departure later in the day). I have written to Mauro to ask if we can go 14:00 to 22:00 because I don't think we want to be out clear til midnight. <BR> <BR>What did you think of the meal? What is it "worth"? $50 a person? or not as good as that? Take our own wine? or will he supply? any place on the boat for a nap, if someone feels like it - - or feels sea sick? <BR> <BR>I know I should be asking all this to Mauro (and I will), but it's great to find personal input from someone. Were you on the boat with people you knew (a pre-formed group)? or just the "customers del giorno"? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:56 AM
Holly

Hi Rex - I took the double-decker boat (#14) to Burano yesterday and opted not to go on to Torcello because there's just not a whole lot there. If your group is only going to be in Venice for a day or two, I sure wouldn't spend time doing those islands. Burano was very colorful (the houses), but was easily seen in an hour. Just more of the same typical glass & lace souvenir shops and crowded restaurants. Please bear in mind that it was Easter Sunday, & every place is crowded here right now. If I were you, I'd plan another itinerary around Venice "proper", maybe to the Isola di San Michele and Lido. More later...

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:54 AM
Santa Chiara

Oh, yes, the "only" thing on Torcello is one of the most magnificant collections of mosaics I have ever seen. Built in the 7th century, the small church is a jewel of a find. On the grounds is another church, built in the 11th century, I believe as well as a small archeological museum. I love Venice above all cities in Italy, but Torcello, for me, is not to be missed, If you do not want to take the expensive boat journey, you can take a vaporetto out there, #12, I believe. <BR> <BR>I have neither eaten or stayed there, but the original Cipriani is there, and its restaurant is supposed to be excellent. <BR> <BR>If you like places with a mystical quality, ancient architecture and magnificant examples of art, then I would recommend Torcello.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Paulo

Rex, we never enjoyed the Eolo ... but have been to Burano and Torcello quite a few times. <BR> <BR>I agree with Santa Chiara, Torcello is IMO the one lagoon island with most charm. It looks like nothing has changed for the last thousand years. It looks almost as a goast island and is very melancholic (if there aren't many <BR>tourists around) with its grass and stones. At the landing stage, you make <BR>a nice 15min strolling along the canal to get to the two top attractions: the <BR>Church of Santa Maria Assunta Isola di Torcello (7th century, oldest in Venice, with the marvelous Byzantine mosaics pointed out by Santa Chiara) and the Locanda Cipriani, that hosted a number of personalities, including Hemingway. This island certainly hits extremes: either one loves it or hates it; it probably can't be compared with anything one has seen/felt before. 2 1/2 hours is a reasonable visiting time (add 45 minutes if having a meal there). <BR> <BR>Burano is (literally) the most colorful of the lagoon islands, with its houses painted in the brightest colours of the rainbow. It is the lacemakers island. There is an intersting Museum of Lace and there are practical demonstrations of lace making. There's also the Chiesa <BR>di San Martino with its very nice interior. 2 hours is a reasonable visiting time inluding the museum. <BR> <BR>I'm pretty sure that you and your wife would enjoy a day trip to Burano and Torcello very much. On the other hand, though, with so little time in Venice it would IMO be a disservice to your friends. With so little time it'd be a pitty to burn a considerable part of it enroute back and forth to the islands. I think they'll get more out of it, if they just get lost in the back streets of Venice. <BR> <BR>If you decide going "no matter what", in my experience it's pretty cool doing it after having visited the San Marco monuments. If you use the scheme of attending mass in the Basilica (8:30am), you'd be in position to enter the Doge's Palace before 10am and upon exiting to take the vaporetto to visit both islands, returning in the late afternoon. Once we managed to visit both islands after visiting also the Museo Correr (besides the Basilica and the Palace). <BR> <BR>To make the most of your time, though, you'll have to restrain yourself from visiting Piazza San Marco upon hotel check in, unless it's already evening. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Rex! I am not familiar with Eolo, so I cannot help you there, but we went to Torcello, Burano, and St. Michelle using the vaporetti and it was a very pleasant experience. The vaporetti departs from the Fondamenta Nuove landing to the North of Venice. If you have purchased an unlimited vaporetto ticket (like a 3-day ticket), going to the outer islands is included. I think the ride from Fondamenta Nuove to Torcello may have been around 45 minutes. We loved Torcello, and agree with Santa Chiara that the mosaics were gorgeous, we felt completely transported back in time. Additionally, if you bring a good guidebook, you don't need a tour guide at Torcello, because with the entrance fees they include the rental of a cassette tape (in your language) that guides through the main sights and mosaics in the church. Torcello provided such a contrast to Venice and took us back to a calmer time that IMHO is a very worthy day-trip from Venice. <BR> <BR>Burano, which is very close to Torcello by vaporetti is very colorful and charming, and you can basically stroll around and take pictures. 1 hour should be sufficient <BR> <BR>St. Michelle can be the last stop on the way back to Venice. If you enjoy cemetaries, you will enjoy this one. There are famous people (Stravinsky,etc)buried. <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Rex

Thanks, Santa Chiara and Paulo - - so far, I haven't received an answer back from Mauro about what time on Torcello our one-day cruise will include. But the more I investigate, the more I get the feeling that Torcello is very MUCH "worth it". Whether the Eolo is - - is another question. <BR> <BR>But here is an indication that it (the Eolo) has appeal to people who are "into" exclusive tours: <BR> <BR>http://www.wbur.org/information/cotw...inerary5.shtml <BR> <BR>This is the "number one" extension offered on a very exclusive tour arranged by WBUR (Boston University public radio), hosted by NPR's Nina Totenberg. I realize that you may not know Nina in Italy or Brazil, but to many a (would-be) "intellectual" here in America, this would be a dream tour. You probably do know Christiane Amanpour, from CNN. I think that it would be at least as interesting to travel with Nina Totenberg as with Ms. Amanpour. <BR> <BR>I am not in pursuit of "celebrity" watching, nor interested in "following in their footsteps", but I think it might be a pretty good endorsement. <BR> <BR>And I understand your concern about the two other couples, Paulo and seeing other "more famous" Venice. But I think we can fit this in on our first day (arriving) in Venice (5th day of the trip overall). And they are not likely to enjoy a lot of walking as much as me and my wife. For example, I am worried that the Doges Palace will wear out my father-in-law - - even though I very much want him to see it. Five years ago, Neuschwanstein left him very tired for the next 24 hours. <BR> <BR>If Sr. Stoppa is engaging and fixes a nice meal, the Eolo might be worthwhile - - for conserving their energy and an interesting, pleasant evening. I trust that he will (also) provide answers to my various questions. <BR> <BR>And as always, I appreciate the input from everyone here. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Rex

Oh oh - - you and I must have been posting more or less simultaneously, Mariarosa - - thanks for your input also. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Paulo

Rex, <BR> <BR>As I understood from what's in the Eolo site, there are normally 2 tours. One in the morning, from 8am to 4pm, and another one from 4pm to midnight. It also appears that it starts and (eventually) ends at the airport ... your time frame from 2pm to 10pm doesn't seem to fit ... unless I'm missing some or you're asking Mauro if he allows you guys on board to make a trip back and forth to the airport <BR> <BR>Anyway, once it appears you're firm in giving Torcello a try, you may wish to give a look at (if you haven't yet) <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...messagesframe& <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Rex

Paulo, <BR> <BR>I have made a special request for 14:00 to 22:00 (so that we are not out so late), but he has not answered me yet. In his initial reply to my inquiry (on the form from his website), he said that he is not yet booked for May 7, either time slot. So we will see what he says. <BR> <BR>And thanks for the URL. <BR> <BR>(did you get my e-mail to "e", cc'd to you?) <BR> <BR>Auguri... <BR>