Been there, Done that

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there, Done that

We will be spending 3 nights in Rome, 2 nights in Florence and 2 nights in Venice, where we board the ship. The ship stops in Rome and Florence. What should we do if we don't want to go back into the cities? Are there any things to see or do around the ports? Anything interesting close by?
Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM

I've read your post three times and I don't get what you're asking. Are you saying you've been to these places before and you don't care to go back? Or are you saying you haven't been there and want to do them this time because you won't want to go back? Or are you suggesting that after those 2 and 3 night stays in those cities, you won't have anything left to do when you go back from a day trip from a cruise?

And I'm really confused what ship stops in Florence.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Patrick its not a difficult post. Read the headliner..."been there, done that" Although I'd disagree, no one can really ever totally been there and done all.

Cre8,
To answer you question, around the ports are typically the pits. I have friends that like to cruise and they say sometimes its great just to stay on the ship at some ports, have all the public space and services to yourselves. Indulge
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Since we will be spending the week in Rome and Florence , which as you know is big bucks. I didn't want to go for another 300.00, not to mention a 1 1/2 ride each way for a tour of things we would have already seen.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:41 PM

Tarquinia is not far up the coast and its museum and tombs are worth a visit.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi Cre,

Your ship stops in Livorno for Florence.

You can train to Pisa and then on to Lucca for theday.

From Civitavecchia (Rome) you could train up to Monte Argentario for a short day.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:43 AM

You can also train from Livorno to LaSpezia (for the Cinque Terre) in as little as 1 1/2 hours.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Maybe I don't understand, but why go to the same places the cruise is going?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

We love to cruise and since this is our first trip to Italy, one day off the ship in Rome and Florence just wouldn't cut it. We do get 1 night in Venice aboard the ship and we end up in Barcelona with 1 night aboard also. This cruise was just too good to pass up! Venice, Croatia, Athens, Santorini, Naples and Villefranche (besides Civitavecchia and Livorno)
Thank you Ira, I forgot about Pisa.
To busy reading all the posts about what to take and how light you should travel. Just trying to figure out what to do with the the cruise cloths. It's not a jean and sandle ship.
I really appreciate all the good tips and advice I receive here. Thanks!!!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
ira

Hi Cre,

Mind telling us what cruise line and what ship?

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Ira
The ship is the Millennium (Celebrity)
We board the ship Oct 1. in Venice. Wish you were going with us to guide us around!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM

The port terminal for Rome is Civitavecchia, which is a very rough town, if my memory serves me correctly.

Why not do the cruise first? Then you will have an idea of what other things/cities you would like to visit in depth???
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

We are already booked. Thought it would be better to travel on land first, then get some R&R on the ship. I believe we are at sea on the 4th day.

Does anyone know if you can ship your luggage to a hotel? Is it a dumb idea?
Just hate the thought of lugging around luggage for the cruise.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi Cre8,

>Does anyone know if you can ship your luggage to a hotel? Is it a dumb idea?<

Yes.

No, but it is very expensive.

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:41 AM

Peter Greenberg (Travel editor of NBC's Today Show) does it all the time. Rather than checking luggage on flights, he recommends FedExing it. It is always waiting for you on arrival. He ships to the hotel and then back "home". Obviously, his luggage has never been lost.

I've shipped dirty clothes, used guidebooks, shoes I don't need anymore home via UPS ground (domestic trips).

You could easily ship the luggage or a box of things you need later to the hotel. Don't know the expense - but you could check into it.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:49 AM

Does Peter Greenberg ever tell how much this FedExing costs? It's an expense that I will willingly avoid by carrying and checking my luggage.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM

"I FedEx the bags directly to my hotel". Since he usually knows where he's going ahead of time, he doesn't have to use the rush-ship but can use the two or three day delivery option. He calls ahead and speaks to the bellstaff and gives them the tracking info and since he's preregistered he asks them to deliver the bags to his room. Usually they are waiting for him when he arrives in the room!
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM
J62

FedEx, 30# package,
NYC to Rome

1-2 day priority $220
4-5 day ecomomy $210
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:17 AM

Wow, J62! You are very resourceful! Now the poster has an idea of just how much the convenience will cost.

I'm amazed there's only a $10 difference between the two.
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:34 AM
J62

pretty simple. www.fedex.com.

Not at all referring to this thread (honestly), but I'm often amazed that people will throw a very specific question out there without first attempting to go directly to the source, either on the internet or (Heaven forbid) with a phone call.

Google or just about any search engine is a wonderful tool to finding web sites. The problem I often run into is distinguishing a garbage web site from a useful one. That's where tips from Fodors comes in handy.

I'm very happy to provide any input I can to someone who has done at least a little bit of homework beforehand but I'm find my self reluctant to reply to overly general posts such as "What should I see in NY" or "Are there sandy beaches in FL".

Same thing goes for 3rd party inquiries such as "I have a friend who's travelling...." or "My 40 year old son and his wife are going to..." I find myself much more inclined to help out a traveller seeking info for self, as I feel the advice is far more likely to be welcomed anyway.

Looking up the $ on Fedex was easy, and I was curious myself how much it would cost, so I learned something myself as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -