bed linens in paris

Jul 7th, 2001, 07:09 AM
donna

bed linens in paris

hi
can i get any tips on where to find a good store with moderate prices in which i can find bed linens.
thanks

Jul 7th, 2001, 08:07 AM
michele

Donna,
In either last week's LA TIMES Sunday travel section or the week before, Susan Spano had an article on this subject. If you can't find it, email me at home and I'll see if I can retrieve it for you. Sorry I can't remember the names of the stores ( some were very expensive, others more reasonable).

M.

Jul 7th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Lesley

Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps are the two big department stores in Paris. Both sell bedlinen.

Jul 7th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Betsy

For the Susan Spano story:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/storie...000052157.html

Jul 7th, 2001, 03:46 PM
StCirq

Donna:

I don't know what your definition of moderate is, but I've been searching for bed linens in Paris and elsewhere in France for two decades and with only two exceptions never found any that I thought were a bargain. I found plenty that were absolutely beautiful, and I have bought some, but I always paid far more than I would have in the USA. Maybe others who live there or know more than I do can give you better hints, but I just got back from Paris last night, and I spent a part of each of three days shopping at the annual major sales that are going on. I checked out bed linens at La Samaritaine, Bazar Hôtel de Ville, Printemps, Galeries Lafayette, and a host of smaller specialty stores. Even the 50% off linens were selling for around $40 for a single sheet, making a full set with pillow cases well over $100. The cheaper ones are not 100% cotton, and I can't stand slippery or sticky sheets.
You might try outdoor markets. The best linen bargains I ever found in France were cotton duvets (at 150F apiece - and they've lasted 9 years) and a beautiful blue and white heavy cotton embroidered coverlet with a scallop pattern for 200F - both at outdoor markets, though not in Paris. If you DO find out where to locate bargains, let me know, as the French linens are truly gorgeous.

Jul 8th, 2001, 04:18 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for the url Donna -- the store websites make for good dreaming

Jul 8th, 2001, 10:48 AM
PAtD

I brought back several pillowcases from Bon Marche, unlike any I can find in the US. I also bought a duvet and two european square pillows in the Dordogne where they were made. To me, they were worth every penny because not only cannot you not find the same thing here, but it is a constant reminder of our experiences in France - and the attention to detail and beauty, a beautifully made French bed is very romantic!