Beautiful Mountain Towns

Search

Beautiful Mountain Towns

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2018, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful Mountain Towns

We are looking for recommendations for favorite, charming towns or villages in the Bavarian Alps and in the area around Salzburg (or Kitzbuhl or Berchtesgaden), and/or perhaps in the Swiss Alps or maybe the Dolomites where we might find vacation rentals for about a week in each place in September. We would like to be in or near small, scenic towns with train service. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 09:01 PM

Hi bcsa,

There are hundreds of such beautiful towns -- I wonder if you could help us narrow it down a bit?

Wengen is absolutely gorgeous in the Swiss Alps -- it's a car-free town, so you can only get to it by train. Lots of great hiking or walking nearby. Sits amid dramatic peaks.

My favorite town for scenic landscapes is Gstaad, also in the Swiss Alps, also linked by train, this one the scenic Golden Pass line between Zweisimmen and Montreux. Tons of great hiking and walking nearby. This scenery is more lush green rolling hills than dramatic peaks.

I live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in the Bavarian Alps, and I think it's lovely here. We're linked well by train between Munich and Innsbruck.

One of my favorite villages in Bavaria is Füssen, a lovely town even discounting those nearby castles. It has a lovely pedestrian area, a river runs by it, and a beautiful lake is just outside of town.

Anyway, have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 01:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Not quite within your broad specifications, but Seefeld in Tirol, Reith in Alpbachtal, and Hall in Tirol might be worth investigation. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, as mentioned above, might also rate consideration.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both very much for your suggestions. I will be researching each one. We will have a car, but would like to in stay in a place where we can take day trips by train. We did this out of Grindelwald a number of years ago and enjoyed the adventures. So far, the itinerary will be arrival at Frankfurt airport, then a few days in Rothenburg. From there, would you recommend a couple of days in Munich (or not) before a week or two in the Alps at vacation rentals in charming towns?
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 07:15 AM

I loved Grindelwald in the Bernese Oberland, one could easily spend several days hiking and biking around. Plus, easy and convenient train access. Do have a look at my report: https://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com...nese-oberland/
Interlaken might be more central to travel in the region, but Grindelwald has a beautiful location. Murren is another favorite, but I like the train access in Grindelwald more.
I have also been to the Austrian Alps, I would prefer the Swiss alps anyday for the scenery.

Last edited by ashwinb; Jan 22nd, 2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added a comment.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 07:22 AM

Hi again,

Well I don't give suggestions or indeed even help for those who drive in the area.

We're already seeing damage from global climate change in our shrinking glaciers, and our shorter and warmer winters. Since public transport is SO good here, there is no need to drive.

I'm sure you'll get the help you need from other posters here --

s
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, ashwinb, for your suggestions. I enjoyed your trip report and thought your pictures were beautiful. We are looking forward to our trip to the Alps!