Beaulieu-sur-Mer or Eze?

Search

Beaulieu-sur-Mer or Eze?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaulieu-sur-Mer or Eze?

i'm trying to decide between staying in Eze @ Chateau de la Chevre d 'Or or at La Reserve in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, I am aware that this is not a tough choice to make, I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on either place or their locations. Is Eze a good location or is it too far out of the way, would we need a car if we stayed in Eze?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I am going to Eze on a friend's recommendation. Although I haven't been there yet, a few people who have traveled there told me it is not hard to get to. There is a bus that leaves 4 times a day to Eze from Nice for 4 euro, and it takes about 20 mins. Or a taxi is supposed to be about only 22 euro. I am staying at Chateau Eza in March. If you're going before then, let me know how it is!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I can't comment on La Reserve but I would highly recommend La Chevre d'Or. We spent 4 nights there in May of 2002. It is a beautiful, charming hotel and the views are spectacular. Ask for the room with the private terrace near the pool. The village of Eze itself is lovely but was full of tourists one holiday afternoon while we were there. You absolutely need a car if you want to explore the surrounding villages, Monaco, etc. The Roman ruins at La Turbie are not to be missed. We spent 2 days enjoying the terraces, pool, gardens and restaurants at Chevre d'Or and the village itself before we even ventured out of Eze, but we are fairly laid-back on foreign trips and our primary goal was relaxation and gastronomy. If you're the kind of person who needs to ge on the go constantly, Eze may not be the best choice.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM

That's easy. At BSM you will be a block from the train station, bus stop, have a great beach, lots of shops, lots to do. You can be in Nice by train in 9 minutes, Monte Carlo in 15 minutes, Menton, Eze, Antibes, Villfranche, Cannes all easy to get to by train. At Eze after two hours you will have done all there is to do and unless you just want to gaze at the view you will die of boredom. No trains on top of the mountain and limited bus service. I spend several weeks a year in BSM renting an apartment there about two blocks from the Reserve hotel. It is one of the finest on the Cote d'Azur.

You can do very well at BSM without a car but at Eze it would be a must. Using the bus service you would have to be back at Eze by about 7 pm but at BSM you can stay in Nice or Monte Carlo etc until midnight and still get a train back home. Have fun whichever you decide. They are both more fun than Steubenville, Ohio.

Larry J
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM

At B-S-M you have stupendous, long, and varied shore walks that could fill many happy days (including Rothchild mansions, etc)
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Exactly the information i was looking for, thank you so much.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Viking You are very right about the shore walks from BSM. I like to walk from the west marina to St.Jean Cap Ferrat along the paved path and then circle the entire peninsula of Cap Ferrat with a stop off at the chapel de St.Hospice. Also it is not far to walk from BSM to Villefranche, mess around there and have breakfast of lunch and then take the train from Villefranche to Nice or a favorite day trip of mine is to get off the train at Cagnes Sur Mer, walk a block to the bus stop and go up to St.Paul de Vence for the day. The art in the galleries there is as good as you will find on this planet.

Larry J
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:07 PM

It has been three years, but a friend and I spent a week in BSM. It was so easy to take the train anywhere on the coast. We even went into Italy for a market that is held on Fridays right across the border.
We did have a car, but mixed the two. We used the car to travel to Soarge and some of the remote villages and the train into Nice where parking is not so great. But having a car really is not necessary in this location.
If you do BSM take some time to walk to Villa Kerylos very close to your hotel.
It is lovely.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:12 PM

You know I've stopped in Cap Ferrat and in Beaulieu-sur-Mer and never thought much about either, but thought both were pleasant and pretty.

You people are making me think they would indeed be a good base -- especially without a car. Hmmmmm.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Sher

The market in Italy you speak of is at Ventimiglia and is maybe the largest indoor/outdoor market in Europe. It is held every Friday and if you are staying in an apartment it is a great place to buy fruits, veggies, great great fish market etc. From BSM the train ride is only about 30 minutes.

Ventimiglia also has some very good restaurants that don't cost a fortune and a beautiful beach area. It makes a really nice day trip from the Cote d'Azur.

Larry J
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:39 PM

My information is dated, to say the least. I have very fond memories of both Beaulieu and Eze. I was there some 37 years ago on a sort of belated honeymoon with my "practice wife". We stayed in a tiny hotel called La Petite Auberge in Beaulieu. Her Parents, who were British, had been staying there since just after WW II, and were friends of the owners. I met all three of them on my way back from business in Cairo. We went to Eze several times to eat on the terrace of a restaurant, and for a guy from Kansas the views of the blue water and the cliffs just blew me away. When I think of sublime momements, Eze is high on the list.

From Beaulieu we would take those fabulous walks along the shore, others talked about, over to Villefrance each day. One day we fell into step with a really charming chap who said he did that walk every single day from his house. We all stopped in Villefrance and stopped at a cafe for something to drink and continued talking for a long time. The guy was David Niven.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Yes, the beach stroll from BsM to Cap F. first lands in a place called Sir David Niven Square, with a house possibly plaquarded with his name IIRC. You can turn back to see it's view of the ocean/cliff setting of BsM which is about as perfect as anything I've seen in France.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 01:16 AM

I have stayed in Eze and eaten in BSM and was about to post that the former is far superior. After reading these posts, I conclude I must be wrong and will give BSM a second chance. Certainly for the accessibility alone, it appears to merit your choice. But do make a trip to Eze for the views and the charm. Have a drink in the bar at the Chevre d'Or and gaze out on their pools and the sea below. Magical.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM
amelia

We stayed in Nice a couple of years ago for a week and used trains/buses to get to all points from Cannes to Menton with ease.

Based on that experience, I constantly recommend these places for people to stay: Beaulieu-sur-Mer, Villefranche-sur-Mer, and Antibes. All provide scenic walking, beautiful waterlines, enough restaurants plus easy rail access to larger cities.

Eze, however, does not.

We loved our hike (it really isn't that tough at all) up to Eze from the rail station at Eze sur Mer, but exactly as LarryJ said, after two hours, there's nothing much to do.

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Larry. Thank you . It was Ventimiglia. And the market is huge. We enjoyed spending quite a bit of time, it takes that long, to see all of the things.
We had budget accomodations in BSM at the Residence Eiffel, which is on the grounds of the home of the builder of the Eifel tower. They are small apartments and are actually on the same street as La Reserve, I believe, but closer to the public beach.
In fact, when in the area last year, I revisited the hotel to show my husband the grounds.
There is a restaurant in town which we thought was very good. I believe it is called Le Catalan. We had dinner there twice. The food was lovely and it was filled with locals.
It is only four or five blocks from the hotels.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM
BDM

We were there YEARS ago. La Reserve is a world class hotel - very "spiffy".

One way or the other, please take the time to have a 3 hr. dinner at Le Chevre d'or. It is still 2 M stars and the view alone is worth the price of dinner.

By the way, get a car -- The Grand Corniche is a VERY fun drive.

B
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM

It's true that Le Catalan is a popular spot, but looking at the menu it seemed the prices were a little out of line. Up the street, and right at the bookstore, there is a wonderful little place on rue Quincenet called La Pignatelle.

I was not impressed with any of the places down in the port, of which the African Queen is the most well known.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

once again, thanks so much. Richardson