Beating the Euro in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings to all Fodorites! When you head to Ireland these days, traveling can easily take a wallop out of your wallet! As editor of Fodor's Ireland guidebook, I'm hoping some of our readers can share great econo-tips on how to stretch the Euro in Ireland. Face it, finding good value in the Emerald Isle is a tricky proposition: the dollar is still limping against the Euro ($1.59 to 1 Euro). But most Fodorites know that if you live like a local, you’ll save like a local as well, and perhaps have a richer traveling experience to boot! So have you discovered any great budget-boosters? Tried out any new Euro-stretchers? For starters, we know you can take a bus from the Dublin airport---it'll be one-quarter the cost of a cab and will get you into town twice as fast. You can opt for B&Bs, which usually come with an all-knowing landlady who’s got the inside line on bargain shopping. In restaurants, you can choose the house wine, which is no longer just "plonk" for unsophisticated palates. And there's always enjoying a penny-pinching picnic for lunch. But can you tell us other budget tips, top value recommendations, and more specific suggestions for savvy budgeteering? Fodor's would love to feature them---credited, of course!---in our new Ireland guidebook about to hit the presses. Many thanks---and here’s wishing you many beautiful encounters that don’t break the bank!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Not to nitpick, but €1 = $1.4369 a minute ago.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing: 1.59 a couple of months ago, not today thank goodness. Perhaps the OP wrote this back then and only today posted it...
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM

When we went to Ireland in 2006, we did a couple things. We rented mostly B&Bs, and did a lot of research to find some that are in our budget. We also researched self-catering properties. We found an 18th century farmhouse near Killarney that came to about $20 per person per night (there were three of us). We had the whole place to ourselves, and it was 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and bathroom - a great bargain!

B&B breakfasts are usually a great deal, included in the price, which allows you to have either a small snack for lunch, or skip lunch and take an early dinner. Sandwiches or soups in pubs or at grocery stores are a great picnic option.

Irish Heritage Card - this is a great value if you plan on visiting a lot of sites. You can buy them online or at any of their sites, but if you buy it ahead of time, you can get a booklet of eligible sites.

Many historical sites are free or very low cost, and knowing where they are ahead of time will save time and money.

Renting a car - if you do so, scrutinize the options carefully. Most credit cards no longer cover insurance for a rental car in Ireland, but a few still do. Get it in writing from your credit card so you can waive the very expensive CDW when you get the car. Also note the value of the car - most cards don't cover cars worth over $50,000, as they are considered luxury vehicles. That's no longer very accurate, considering car prices and bad exchange rates.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Have you ever considered house exchanging? We live in Ireland but have been home swopping for over 20 years and have been all over Europe, USA and Canada (in fact have just returned from 3 wonderful weeks in Canada)... Not only can you swop houses but also cars. Only major cost is are the flights.

Best home exchange agencies to join are:
www.homelink.com; www.homeexchange.com; www.intervac.com

Good luck!!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Many of the important cultural institutions, most notably the National Museum and the National Gallery, are free.

The Heritage Card (alreeady mentioned by GreenDragon) is one of the great bargains. See http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Info/HeritageCards/ .

A lot of restaurants offer early bird specials for those prepared to dine early, typically about 6.30. It might particularly suit those who feed up on breakfast and get by with no lunch or just a little snack.

A lot of hotels have midweek specials that are great value for money. The packages wary, but you might get two nights B&B and one dinner in a 3- or 4-star hotel for as little as €125 per person. Such offers are often available only at short(ish) notice, so it might be worth checking newspaper ads when you arrive in Ireland. The back page of The Irish Times is one place to check.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Eat deli type food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. When we were in Ireland, there were many large gas stations that had delis inside.

The food was very good and much less expensive than a restaurant or even a pub.

The one just a block from our rental house in Dingle even sold fried eggs and sausages. They just slipped them into a little insulated bag and we were ready for breakfast.

Laurie
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Use an ATM to get Euro in stead of exchanging Dollars for Euro at banks.You will get a better exchange rate and not pay a fee.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Shouldn't the editor of the Ireland book already know all this info himself? Shouldn't he be telling us and his readers about budgeting info he has researched and gathered first hand in Ireland?

Ask the readers to supply the info? That is a new twist on researching for a book. Gosh, do you think I will get banned for saying this?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM

Laurie wrote: "Eat deli type food for breakfast, lunch or dinner. ... The food was very good ..."

Tastes vary, of course, but I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Laurie also wrote: "The one just a block from our rental house in Dingle even sold fried eggs and sausages. They just slipped them into a little insulated bag and we were ready for breakfast."

Even cheaper, of course, is to cook your own. And now that Dingle has a new low-price major retailer, it's cheaper now than a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM

I've gone the B&B route on other trips to Ireland, but I'm a big fan of university lodging when it comes to visiting larger cities and needing to keep to a budget.

I think a lot of older travelers hear the word "university" and automatically think it's a place full of young backpackers and they will be sharing a bathroom with 20 other tourists. Not true...

Queen's University in Belfast and Trinity College in Dublin are great examples of places that offer spacious, clean rooms with private bathrooms. Easy access to public transit, on-site laundry and internet facilities and a full Irish breakfast every day for a fraction of what you'd pay at a hotel make university lodging a terrific option.

For eating on the cheap in Ireland, no need to go to the pub anymore. The influx of immigrants into Ireland means you can find tasty and cheap ethnic fare in many cities and towns.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM

I visited Belfast last August and was stunned how much cheaper food was than in Dublin. Even though they use the pound, pubs and restaurants were quite reasonable. Belfast is a nice city to visit even for the day. I would return and I would like to visit other parts of this region.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Fish and chips is always a good option - there's a chipper in every town in Ireland and chipper chips are delicious with loads of salt and vinegar. If you're watching your weight not a good idea.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM

brocon wrote: "Fish and chips is always a good option"

I'd say often, not always. Standards vary a lot. The best are very good; some of the others are terrible.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM

One of the best kept secrets for Lodging in the summer is Trinity College Dublin. You will be able to get accommodation in the heart of the city, excellent security at night and no need for a taxi home or a late night walk in a dodgy area. Rooms can be for one or an apartment up to 8 breakfast vouchers are included in this for the Student restaurant the Buttery

I have seem some of the rooms when booking friends in and many are renovated rooms in the front of college and nicer than many hotels for 100 euro and more per night.

Also for lunch "the buttery" in Frint square under the main dining hall offrers a great value on a hot lunch with usualy meat and veg and vegetarian options that in price will beat any pub. This is due to the new improved canteen opened last year.

Also Marks and Spencer, Tesco and Dunnes offer take away sandwichwes (M&S the more upmarket) Dunnes has a good salad bar by weight and tesco take away sambos and salads.

In Dublin, a favourite good value place is the Epicurean food hall on Liffey street, Dublin 1 over the Ha Penny Bridge. Some cheap pizza buffet places are popping up on this street but the quality is lower than the food hall.

Inside the Epicurean food hall offers 3 all you can eat places...one Italian, one called Brothers 8.95 euro for this greek style buffet, and the last an Asian buffet with options for buffet or sushi box. Its not high end but filling. Excellent Mexican here, Burdocks Fish and chips, Real Italian coffee and pannini in Il Corte, Bagel sandwiches from Itsa bagel offering imported H&H bagels from NYC. There is also an Combined asian food stall, Kebab place and Christophers offers hot european style food and salads. All will be much less than a restaurant/PUB. opens approx 10-4:30.

Also a good food place minus the frills is Gruel. Mismatched xchairs, grab your own cutlery and water and grab a seat. Lunch has a different roll sandwich each day m-F and soups and salads. There is a downstairs that I have eaten dinner in a few times and the focus is always on good food and good price. Wine is under 20 meuro for house wine and the menu changes often so you never will get the same items often. ALlo food is FRESH and made that day...no freezers full of veg or cakes here! its not everyones cup of tea but I think the food speaks for itself and its a shabby chic feel to it like an old mix matched cafe. Cost for dinner with wine I would say is 25% less than most restaurants.

We Irish like to eat later but there are many places now offering set or early bird menus even in upmarket restaurants so take advantage. Most are from 5-7pm.

Enjoy!

P.S. be clear when you say bus to aurport as there is a regular dublin bus that goes to the airport for a normal fare and then there is the Aircoach whioch is I think 7 euro per person. Thye "normal" bus is ususally on the Quays near O'Connell street and is number...don't laugh 747!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 08:34 AM

We enjoyed the same great meal at Jim Edwards in Kinsale by eating in the pub vs the restaraunt...it may pay to check.

Even for Americans, we found portions to be large and we often shared meals...one meal came with chicken served on mashed potatoes, with a large side of chips (fries), with a side of boiled red skins, and a large portion of steamed veggies. And I think their lasagna and chips combo is infamous.

Not only are pub meals great, but you can't beat the free trad in one of the famous pubs in Doolin and Dingle for a memorable night of entertainment.

The Heritage Card helped the budget...tip, show it everywhere, it even got us a discount at Powerscourt which is not one of its sights.

The best bargain B&B was Castle Murray House on St. John's Point in Donegal...first class dining, accomodations, and a view that can't be beat...without the first class price.

The best bargain in Ireland is her natural beauty. You can't beat the scenic drives around Dingle Peninsula, through Killarney National Park and on to Kenmare, Healy Pass on the Beara Peninsula, the Burren, Doo Lough Valley, and I could go on and on.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

A thousand thanks to the Fodorites kind enough to share their tips for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g those pricey euros! Look for many of these suggestions to appear in the latest edition of our Ireland guide book (set to appear in bookstores this December). All in all, these were great ways of saving wallets from taking a real wallop!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 02:28 AM

Hi,
We're planning to visit family in Co. Clare next summer & I'm looking for a home exchange for about 3 weeks in the area. We're a family of 2 adults & 2 teens & would love something by the sea or with a nice view.
We have a large 2 story mediterranean style 5 bedroom home with a tropical yard & large heated pool. Del Mar & La Jolla beaches are minutes away & we're about 15 minutes to Sea World, San Diego Zoo & Mission Bay. Downtown Gaslamp district is 20 minutes drive. Disneyland is 1.5 hour drive. Our house is a 2 story home in a very upscale neighborhood adjacent to Del Mar. It's a comfortable place filled with original art, antiques & Persian rugs.
I've seen a lot of home exchange websites but am not sure which one to choose. Also my husband isn't thrilled about the idea of home exchange now. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Hi Anniepie

Sorry but I don't have any help for you, other than to suggest that you set up a separate post with a heading such as "Anyone in Clare want to houseswap with me in California" - I think you are more likely to find your target audience that way.

For what it's worth, your description sounds fabulous to me (based in Dublin), I'm only sorry I don't have a place in Clare!

jane
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM

In Dublin, we rented a room in a house that was used for student housing. It was clean and en suite and we had the use of the kitchen. We bought groceries at a market and ate like a local. I paid 440 Euro for 2 weeks. That's about 32Euro per day. It was a 25 minute walk to town, or you could catch the bus which went by the door. We walked most days. We wanted to see the town, and by foot is the best way. I rented off of Craigs list, but I had a lady in Dublin check the place out before we went. We bought her lunch for her efforts and made a new friend.

I also bought a car to drive. Email me if you want particulars. I had to have a automatic and this was the best way.

We shopped at Penney's in Dublin. They had some great prices on shoes and clothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -