Search

Beara Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beara Peninsula

Hi there, we only have 1 day driving the Beara Peninsula and wondering what are the must sees?
We are staying in Kenmare so will be doing a round trip deal. What is the best route for this? I was told to take Healy Pass from North to south, so I'm sure we will be doing some backtracking.

Any help is much appreciated.

My husband and I are travelling with his parents who are in their 70s and not as mobile as us. So strenuous hikes are not in our cards. Maybe a few kilometre hikes.

Thanks so much
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 03:24 PM

Gleninchaquin Park gets mixed reviews but we really enjoyed it.

At the end of the peninsula you can take a cable car over to Dursey Island. Not everyone can say they crossed the Atlantic on a cable car. Your parents may or may not be up for this.

Ilnacullin aka Garinish or Garnish Island is a fabulous garden park. You reach it by ferry from Glengarriff. There are plenty of opportunities to sit and rest one's feet.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 02:01 AM

Healy pass from south to North. Beara doesn't lend itself to the figure of eight like Dingle so doing the Healy both ways works. The Priests Leap is an option but only at quiet times, its single track with very few passing points.
Dursey and the cable car needs checking before you venture down it does't always run and has set times.

There are some loop walks http://www.bearatourism.com/loopwalks.html good web site for any info.
see also https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic...unty_Cork.html
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you both for getting back to me. The cable car to Dursey Island is a must now

Tony2phones, you always have such great information. That link is amazing. Thank you again for all your information. I have read a lot of forums and your recommendations.