Reload this Page >

Beaches: Vai, Matala, Palaioxora or Elafonisi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Theodora

Hi, <BR>Has anyone been to all or any of these beaches in the south east part of Crete? <BR>Fodors gives Vai a good rating, and mentions Matala, however never mentions <BR>anything about Palaioxora or Elafonisi. If anyone has been to the last two, <BR>are there buses that take you directly there. I plan on going in May and am <BR>without a car. Any help is much appreciated. <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:19 PM
liz

Theodora, I've only been to Matala and that was a nude beach back in the late 70s. It was beautiful and the caves were a big hippie hang out back then. Apparently this is where Joni Mitchell gained some inspiration for some of her songs. <BR>Have fun

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Sheila

Theodora <BR> <BR>The only one I haven't been to is Matala; but you need to look at a map. <BR> <BR>Vai is in the North east; Matala in the south east; Paleochora is in the south west and Elafonissi is even further west. <BR> <BR>The three I know are all very pleasnat. Vai is grosssly overcrowded. Elafonissi is the prettiest and can alos be quite busy in high summer and Paleo is in the town so quite different from the others.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:41 AM
Sheila

Sorry about typos. To add a little, Vai is heavily crowded even off season because of the date palms. It's overpriced and overhyped and unless you have aspirations to be a sardine I'd give it a bodyswerve.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:14 AM
Theodora

Thanks Liz and Sheila. I guess it goes to show you that the most touted beaches for tourists aren't necessarily the most beautiful. Since you thought that Elafonissi is the the prettiest, Sheila, is there bus transportation or a tour that goes through Elafonissi? Thanks for your help in decideding which beach to visit.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:18 AM
Sheila

There are buses to Elafonissi from Chania; or you can go to Paleohora on the south coast and go in and out by boat (that's what I'd do). There is nothing past Elafonissi so it has to be your destination, if you are to get there