Reload this Page >

Beaches in Italy

Search

Beaches in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:37 AM
meagan

Beaches in Italy

Hi All! <BR> <BR>A friend and I are looking for some good beaches around the Amalfi coast. We have already booked two nights on Ischia Island (any good beaches there??) but have 3 or 4 nights unplanned - any suggestions for some beach bum wannabes?

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Andy

Beaches in Amalfi coast are pebbles--but Sorrento and Positano are gorgeous areas to base yourselves

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:05 AM
Carey

There is a great beach in Maiori, the largest on the Amalfi Coast. It's a great little town.

Old May 31st, 2001, 09:12 AM
maven

Maori has the widest beach on the Amalfi Coast. The rest are mostly coves off the rocks--you climb down -and up-by steps. or you can hire a fishing boat and find your own. <BR>Ischia has some good beaches; many on the far side are practically empty--esp. if you have to hike a bit.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:26 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The best beaches I have found in Italy are both about 2 hours from Positano. One is south near Maratea and the other is north near Gaeta and Sperlonga. These are both nice areas to visit. Good luck and have fun !

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:21 PM
Linda

As Bob the Nav says, Gaeta has great beaches, tho they are a bit of a drive from the Amalfi coast. They are clean (and a lot in the area aren't), and you can go out a long way before it gets deep enough to really swim. Not only that, they are good family beaches. It's where many Italians go for their vacation.

Old May 31st, 2001, 03:31 PM
Diane

Just spent 3 nights in Maiori last week. The beach is large and there are lots of beach "clubs" but don't expect soft sand -- grey pebbles is it. The Italians and northern European visitors are there to get TAN. Thus, I think the more desirable locations would be around a pool set into the side of the cliffs with beautiful views --- as you might find from places in Ravello or Positano. I also thought Priano looked pretty neat. Forget the "beachcombing" concept. It just doesn't play on the Amalfi Coast. But the breathtaking sights are one-of-a-kind. Think vertical lemon groves and wineyards!

Old May 31st, 2001, 07:20 PM
Tina

Didn't get here, but did some preliminary investigation about Elba Island (a ferry ride off coast of Tuscany) --- described as being very scenic with some good beaches. <BR> <BR>When I was in Ischia a couple years ago, didn't actually get to beach; so I can't offer an opinion there. <BR> <BR>Beaches along Amalfi coast tend to be of the 'pebbly' sort.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:22 AM
D..

I go to sorrento all the time, going to the beach there is a bit chaotic because EVERYONE goes to the beaches, and it isn't really the sand and sea thing your're imagining, it's more like little pieces of land with some chairs. not to discourage you it's beautiful there, just be patient when it comes to finding parking and you'll be fine. If you do plan on going to Sorrento some friends of mine own a great restaurant so let me know..