Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beach town close to Cappadocia Or Istanbul?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We would like to spend 1 night in a beach town close to Cappadocia or Istanbul. Are there any that you would suggest?

We plan on spending 3 night in Cappadocia, 1 night the beach town and 4 nights in Istanbul.

This will be first week of June.

Thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Regretfully there are no beach towns near Cappadocia.

There are a few beach towns near Istanbul, about two hour driving distance, but the sea will be rather cool first week of June although the daytime temperatures should be fine.

Google, Sile and Agva for information.

If you just wish to stay on the sea, you can also stay at a Bosphorus sea coast hotel in Istanbul, like Four Seasons Bosphorus, Ciragan Palace Kempinsky, Bebek Hotel, Radisson Blu, Sumahan, or stay at Buyukada (one of the Prince's Islands).
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

So your are suggesting that coastal Turkey will be cold to get into the water first week of June.

As a result we can look into Sile, Agva or spend a night in Bosphorus?

Which one do you think is the most picturesque and is there public transport?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 01:57 PM

South or Southwestern coastal Turkey will not be cold to get in the water. about 19-22 degrees C. early July.

However you would have to fly there. Including the transfers and airport lead time, getting some beach time in the South would cost you anywhere from four to five hours each way.
I would not do it, but if you think that you will never get another chance in the near future, it is an idea to fly to Izmir airport, drive to Selcuk to visit Ephesus, stay the night at a beach hotel at Kusadasi and fly back the next day.

Another pictureque area would be Fethiye and the dead sea which are less than an hours transfer from Dalaman airport.

If you stay in Istanbul and are willing to leave those areas out, you can use what you saved to stay at one of the hotels I mentioned. Not all have swimming pools, but you can go to Suada to swim, a small manmind island on the Bosphorus with a pool, have a fabulous night at Reina or Sortie, the super supper clubs and just enjoy the terrific day and night view from your room.

The public transport to Sile would be easy from Uskudar. There should be dolmus (minibus), quite frequent.

I think Agva would require a car rental because the dolmus may not be so frequent would take too long.

There are reasonably frequent ferries from Kabatas to the Price's Islands.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Wish there was a beach town close to Cappadocia

Princess Islands is a good option if you have only a day....
Have a good time in Turkey,
Murat
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

So if you have an option between Bosphorous, Silve, Agva and Prince's island which one is the best? I understand that they all our witin a couple of hours from Istanbul and we don't need to take a flight to get there.

Which one wiil be the most picturisque? We will be spending 3 night in Cappadocia, 4 nights in Istanbul and will have 1 night to spare.

Thank you
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:16 AM

The island beaches are small and the sea is most likely polluted.

Agva has good, romantic "escape" hotels on the sides of one of the two rivers and rather mediocre ones on the beach. It is a rather local and quiet small town.

Sile is closer to istanbul, has some good hotels and good beaches near the town. I would recommend a hotel with its own beach. The town and the marina are nice to walk around.

If you are driving, the winding old road between Sile and Agva is very scenic.

Even if you find the water temperature in the Black Sea acceptable, you shoud stay very close to shore because there is usually a strong undertow and many good swimmers have found it very difficult to get back to the beach after swimming out even a few hundred meters.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The beach on Buyukada is very small.

I stayed at the Splendid Palace Hotel for 3 days once. The hotel has a nice swimming pool.

Thin
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

How about Prince's Island and Sile? Which one is more scenic/ romantic/luxurious? Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:48 PM

Buyukada is definitely more luxurious.

I am not sure of the types of hotels and their locations in Sile.

Agva has some rather romantic hotels on the banks of the river which you cross by a raft.

Check the web to find out which ones you will term "scenic".