Beach getaway from Paris

Search

Beach getaway from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach getaway from Paris

I will be spending 2 weeks traveling around France and ending up in Paris. After a few days there my husband would like to relax at a beach resort of some kind for 2 days. I know, I know...what?! But on the off-chance someone knows something close by, can you clue me in? If the Netherlands have beach resorts, I have to believe there's something in northern France! Merci!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:40 AM

There are lots of beach resorts all along the Normandy coast, though I wouldn't swear the water would be warm!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I'm not sure I understand the logistics of your trip. If you're going to be spending 2 weeks traveling around France, why not fit a beach trip into that part of the vacation, not once you get to Paris?<BR>It's a long way from Paris to any beach without freezing cold water, but beaches are certainly abundant in Normandy and Brittany.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Paris is only 3 hours by high-speed train from Marseille... so it'd be better to head for the Mediterranean coast than the Atlantic which, though closer, will take you longer to reach from Paris (And the water there is darn cold!!)
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone! to clarify, the 2 weeks leading up to paris are preorganized with a cycling group, so i can't fit the beach into the trip until the very end. the high speed train option sounds good.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Sarahjane,<BR><BR>Deauville or Honfleur in Normandy come to mind. Better than the area around Marseille for 2 days IMO (the main resorts in the South are around Nice/Cannes and it would take too long to reach them). If you're looking for a large resort with all the trimmings, the Normandy or Royal hotels would fit the bill. A few spa treatments are probably just what you need after a cycling tour!<BR><BR>www.lucienbarriere.com<BR>has all the info.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Boulogne sur mer!<BR>You didn't said when you wanted to go, but in summer, the water is not cold <BR>(at least not for us!)
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:25 PM

In Normandy, I am smitten w/ Honfleur. <BR><BR>In Brittany, I love around Ploumanach on the north &quot;Emerald Coast&quot; with it red rocks against the green sea. However, the southern coast of Brittany is warmer and has more sand beaches. I like the Carnac and Locmariaquer area because of the megaliths in the area too. <BR><BR>Not on the coast, but in the Black Forest years ago we came upon a beautiful lake and town by the same name, Titisee. All 4 of us agreed if ever we returned to Germany it would be to Titisee for a week of relaxation.<BR><BR>At all these areas thermal spas/treatments are available. Sounds like you will needs some TLC about that time! Good traveling.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 06:36 PM

I think the TGV goes to La Rochelle. From there, it's a quick trip over the bridge to Ile de Re, a Nantucket kind of place that many French families escape to in August.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:20 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Would hubby consider remaining in Paris and going to one of the public pools?<BR><BR>http://www.parisiana.com/swimming.html
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:25 PM

You didn't say what time of year you would be there? Europe is generally pretty cool for the beach until late spring or early summer, especially anywhere north near Paris. Anyway, Paris is such a huge transportation hub that you can usually find great package deals through PARIS travel agents....but you have to book when you get there to get those prices. I found this out because my sister lives in Essaouira, Morocco, and when I tried to visit her (and I did) the prices were always high when bought through the US. French people love Morocco and north Africa (like Tunisia), and they offer them cheap packages (some quick getaways, so it may work for your 2 days)to Morocco like they to for Americans to Mexico. I don't know, but maybe they also sell quickie package deals to other Mediterranean beach spots as well.