BCN Train Station

Search

BCN Train Station

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCN Train Station

How difficult is it to get from the airport to the train station? In another thread about the trains people were talking about getting tickets on line, or rather their difficulties doing so. Is it going to be very difficult to get a train ticket from Barcelona to Valencia in July? Any advice or ideas? What about the bus? Is it going to be impossible too? And does someone have the website address for the train tickets?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:26 AM

I assume by "BCN Train Station" you mean the train station at the airport?

If so, it's right outside and well signposted from inside the airport. I'm pretty sure there was a manned ticket desk but I'm not entirely sure as I just used the machines. These are the standard touch screen ones, select the English option and away you go...
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:44 AM

If you are going from Barcelona airprot direct to Valencia by train, the AIRPORT train station is neaby (you would have to walk a overground passageway for a few minutes). There I have bought tickets both by machine and from a person. Take the train direct to Barcelona Sants that's the main transfer station where you should change for Valencia, I suppose. I have never made a long train travel so I cannot really be of help. Once I took a train to Girona but that was only 1hr ride and without seat reservation. As it seems 3 - 4 hrs ride for Valencia, I would want to have reservation beforehand (Express train EUROMED ?) for the summer holiday season.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys for your replies. Great information. Any more helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

Also you two make it sound like it's not going to be any more difficult to secure a ticket for this trip than it is in Rome at Termini for a trip to Naples for example - right? I hope not... I managed to do that one without getting on the wrong train or anything so maybe I can do this again in Barcelona.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM

it may take awhile to purchase your ticket in sants station, but i think it is better to wait, as it seems you are proposing, than to do it online since if your flight is late and you miss your train.. no refunds.

if you are travelling the last or first days of the summer months you MAY have a problem getting out on the NEXT train.

same goes for fridays and sundays.

there is also excellent/frequent bus service to valencia from barcelona if the train doesn´t work out.

just FYI: if you have several hours to kill before your train, you can check your bag and take the tourist bus which stops right in front of the station.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova - I'll be traveling on the 10th, which is a Thursday. In your opinion do you think I have a pretty good shot at getting on a train? If my plane is on time, I am supposed to arrive at 10:40 a.m. That gives me all of the afternoon and evening to catch something. Would you say I have better than 50% chance to get on the next train? or some train?

Thx!

If I do make it to Valencia that day, anyone have a GREAT hotel suggestion I should be looking into? Would like to keep it under 100 Euros/night, but don't want anything icky.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM

i am no expert on trains and catching them but it would seem to me you should be able to get out on something a few hours later max. can´t imagine EVERYthing is sold out.

at www.renfe.es you can try to get an idea of seats available.

on www.gtahotels.com there are a few 4-5 star hotels for cheap cheap cheap.. but they are not in center.they are in new residential/business avenue connected to town in a straight line.

there is good bus service (the 62 or 63) to get into histroic part fo twon or train station. (10-15 minutes)and the metro is nearby. but there is nothing touristic near there expcept the norman foster convention center. just surprisingly low rates. they are at a loss when there are no conventions.

the sorolla palace is 60 euros without breakfast for single!

eurostars also cheap in this same neighborhood but two blocks closer to center.

then IN town is the Ad HOC. this a three star but quaint side street.walk to everything in historic district.

on www.rumbo.es i see the vincci lys (in center and near train station ) for 89 euros. very nice hotel.

also the 4 star ayre astoria.(very nice also)about 77euros.

hotel zenit is coming up for 75 euros and is across from train station.

so between these two websites you have a nice choice. at least you can check these names of hotels elsewhere to get best deal. good luck.

if you end up coming here and want to meet, let me know. i should be in town that day.

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much to all of you. As it turns out, Expedia was able to do what the Iberia bimbo couldn't figure out -

If I fly to Madrid from Bacelona, I can get a flight from Madrid to Almeria the same day and for the same amount of money!, so all of a sudden the train/bus Valencia issue is a NON issue and will be put on hold until the next time I visit Spain.

But again THANKS TO EVERYONE!