Bay of Arcachon: seasick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at trip that includes an almost 2 hour boat ride on Bay of Arcachon. Hubby gets seasick. His medicine helps but better for us to have a sense beforehand of whether this is even remotely possible! I know a bay doesn't usually have big waves, but it's not a lake, either! Thank you.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 02:21 PM

We have a family home not too far north of that area and my brother-in-law has a fairly large boat. Generally in the spring/summer out even in open water it hasn't been too rough, but that is generally some time in that spring summer period of May-end of August. I also don't get sea sick so may not be a sensitive as you DH.

Here is a link to a webcam for the area-it may not help too much but might give you an idea...

https://www.viewsurf.com/univers/pla...panoramique-hd
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It will depend on the weather.

Only hubby will know.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

The pictures I've seen suggest that we (or at least he) should look into alternatives! Not that the swells are big, but probably are enough to make him uneasy (at best). Thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 09:58 AM

This can test his love for you. Everybody knows and accepts that sometimes people will lean over the side of the boat and do what comes natural. Do you really want to take this boat?
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 03:37 PM

Here's an idea-you could have lunch at the amazing La Co(o)rniche Pyla Hotel or splurge and stay overnight and then you can take the boat ride while your DH does the spa thing or relaxes by the hotel or goes biking It is a amazing place. Here is a picture of the view:

View from La Co(o)rniche Pyla Hotel

The interior design was done by Philippe Starck and I have been wanting to check it out....
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 03:45 PM

jpie,
The hotel is gorgeous! We checked it out last summer on our way to the Dune and wish we could have stayed there!
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 07:07 PM

As someone who gets seasick, I appreciate your concern for your husband!

I used to feel better once I got off the boat, the last time, I felt sick hours after leaving the boat. It’s a lousy feeling.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:26 AM

I totally agree with you sugarmaple. While I don't get particularly seasick myself I have been with folks who do-I wouldn't want to knowingly spoil someone's vacation if I could easily avoid it.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 09:53 AM

Always, always focus on the horizon if you suffer from seasickness, don’t read and don’t drink.

The Bay is sheltered from the Atlantic swell but if very shallow and suffers from short chop created by the wind. I’d agree that there is absolutely nothing worse in life than being stuck on a boat whilst suffering.

Jpie

Happy memories.

thats the hotel my wife banned me from staying in during my cycle around Bordeaux in May.

The word “excessive” came up in conversation.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 10:18 AM

Sylvester, what exactly is the point of this excursion? Just a tourist trip of the bay? If that's all it is, it does not seem essential to me. Even if people who enjoy boat trips will love it, there is no point in tormenting people with seasickness problems. You will see just about anything that you could see from a boat without taking a boat. I imagine that the view of the Dune du Pilat from off shore is spectacular, but that is not enough of a reason to make your husband suffer. Make him climb the dune instead and he might say "I wish we had just taken the boat!"
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 10:56 AM

All good advice, BritishCaicos, but if that feeling starts to come over you, you just hope that staring at the horizon and sitting outside will be sufficient.

I get car sick too, and have learned to have a very light breakfast, so no full English, Irish or Scottish if we’re going anywhere near a hill or windy road. Fortunately a nice baguette doesn’t cause any problem.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kerouac
This can test his love for you. Everybody knows and accepts that sometimes people will lean over the side of the boat and do what comes natural. Do you really want to take this boat?
Kerouc, true story about love -- hubby and I were vacationing in Cape Cod approx. 22 years ago and went on a whale-watching excursion. Luckily we saw some whales before he needed to go inside and sit; I went with him and had a barf bag ready for him (thankfully, it remained empty). That night he proposed to me! He had said to himself "If she's willing to hold a barf bag for me, she really is the one." So your comment about love and barfing was right on the money!
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 12:37 PM

“I get car sick too”

is that in the front or back or when you change positions?

I must have driven close on to a million miles now but have only realised that I get car sick in the back. I haven’t sat in the back since being a child but now my son relegates me and I can’t cope with the change in position.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 06:16 PM

It used to be only in the back, but now it’s in the front too. But only on small winding roads or if there are too many roundabouts.

It’s curious that I didn’t start having trouble in the front seat until after an unpleasant trip over to Inish Mor.

I travel with Gravol and sea bands. Pull rank on your son and get back in the front seat.