Bavarian Christmas

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavarian Christmas

We are planning a 5 day trip to Bavaria the week before Christmas. We currently live in Germany, about 2 hours northeast of Frankfurt. My mom and brother are coming from the States to visit, and this is their first European trip.

My family visited Garmisch this past spring, and really loved the area. Particularly, a little village Grainau. Amazing views of Zugspike, and just very charming. We were thinking to head back to that area since we are familiar and know it will give them that "charm," but we would also like to visit someplace we haven't been yet, and someplace that would put us closer to a day trip to Salzburg, and our return off-the-route visit to Rothenburg. I am trying to find the perfect central point from what we want to do for daytrips, but that would also put us in a place with stunning Alps views for morning coffee from our apartment.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Herrenchiemsee
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Way back in 1998, we had a delightful visit to Grainau during the Christmas holidays. It was a bit impromptu and we (family of 4) did not arrive with dinner reservations. Our hotel inquired if we had made arrangements and quickly went about securing dinner seating. It was some of our most "gemutlich" moments of any trip--good vibes, great food and music with very welcoming diners. The feeling of shared commaraderie was overwhelming.
The Zugspitz was spectacular and we took both venues up and down--tram and lift. The boys (and us) have never forgotten the experience.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM

you might look at betchesgarden....that whole area between munich and innsbruch is wonderful....seefeld is a nice little town...
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM

I have been to Herrenchiemsee in Dec. and, although the castle is great, the weather was not! It was cold, rainy and damp - not what you want on a boat. Therefore, I am going back in Sept. to properly enjoy this area. Have a great trip. Munich in December is really great. CJ