Basic Info on Greece Trip in September??

Aug 1st, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Basic Info on Greece Trip in September??

Hi Everyone - I am considering a 10 day trip to Greece in late September. Is that a good time of year to visit? I've read in many of the guide books that the best time to go is mid-April to June, but how is late Sept? Our primary mission is to sight see and hit some of the beautiful beaches. Is it too cold for the beaches at this time of year? Also, with 10 days, can anyone give me a rough idea of the best places to see - Athens, Santorini & Mykonos are definitely on the list, but not sure how much more I can see in that time. Finally, is it possible to take ferries from island to island on your own or do most people take a cruise line to explore Greece? I am usually a bigger fan of travelling on my own vs through a tour company. Thanks!!!!!
Aug 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM

Late September is definitely a good time to go The water is still swimmable and the summer crowds are all but gone. Out on the islands there will be some wind, but the days will be sunny and warm. Yes, it's not a problem to take the ferries from island to island, and you'll have a better time if you don't have to stick to a cruise itinerary. This website will give you the most current ferry schedules, but keep in mind that they can change without notice so it's best to check at the various ports before you depart. Also, don't leave your return to Athens by ferry until the last day or you risk the chance of being stranded out on an island due to breakdowns or high winds. Either fly back or give yourself an extra day.

www.gtp.gr
Aug 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM

Well I would avoid going to Mykonos and Santorini, never understood them being top of the list, still that's guide books. They are not very representative of the islands, indeed your time would be better spent on an island such as Crete, or some of the other Cyclades islands, try Amorgos and Naxos they have more sights and they do have reasonable beaches.

Alternatively a couple of the dodecanese islands maybe Ikaria and Samos.

The weather is going off a bit in late September but still pretty warm, there will only be the odd day too cool for the beach.

The vast majority of people use the greek ferries, cruise ships only call in certain places for a very short time, you cannot experience greece that way.
Aug 1st, 2005, 04:10 PM

Best warm beaches in September are on the southern coast of Crete. And definitely the way to get around from island to island is by ferry. That said, beaches are not the best part of Greece. Your realize that most of them are pebbles or rocky? Dramatic islands to look at and wander around in, but the beaches are not so great.
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Naxos has miles of fine sand beaches.
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Make Crete your last stop as the weather will remain the warmest there.

The one time we were on Naxos and Paros in late September we found it windy and cool by mid-afternoon. Usually left the beach by 3 or 4. Might have just been that year -- who knows?

But we also found many places like restaurants already closed as the main summer tourist season was over. This may have changed in more recent years.

You could take your chances, or you could safely spend a couple of days in Athens and a week on Crete. Crete is WONDERFUL and has plenty to occupy you for a week.