Basel: tram tickets and restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the ticket on bus number 50 from Basel airport to the SBB station also valid on the trams to the "Au Violon"?
If not, we'll buy tram tickets at the SBB dispensing machine, but can we use these tickets to transfer to tram line 3 from the 8, 10 or 11?
As we're staying for 2 nights at the "Au Violon" I would also appreciate some recommendations for favourite spots for lunch and dinner.
Thanks, from Roma
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:29 AM

I don't have direct answers to your questions, but at least this will raise your post to the top again...

I did want to say that the French restaurant in the 'Au Violon' was full the evening we were there - perhaps that is a good sign.

Also, fyi, there is an elevator that goes up from the street to the 'back door' of the hotel lobby. Otherwise, it's a climb uphill and through a lovely churchyard to the 'front door'.

If you look at a Basel map, find "Barfusserplatz" and "Gerbergasse" - I believe the elevator was located where these meet.
I imagine the hotel can give you a specific street address for the elevator entry.

Also, looking at a map, there was a pedestrian street with cafes leading up to Barfusserplatz - I think it was Steinenvorstadt.

We didn't eat anywhere remarkable - I think we had beer/wine, pizza, and salad at one of the sidewalk terraces...
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Yes, your ticket is valid to your final destination anywhere in the city, no matter the form of transport.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM

First, your best resource for all things Basel is www.mybasel.ch

I lived in Basel for a while and have been back several times to visit. My favorite restaurants are:
Schlussel-Zunft
Freie Strasse 25
061 261 20 46

Safran-Zunft
Gerbergasse 11
061 269 94 94
www.sfaran-zunft.ch
Both near the Marktplatz

Pomodoro
Steinenvorstadt 71
061 281 91 51
An Italian restaurant...located at the end of the pedestrian street toward the train station (not towards Barfusserplatz). I used to eat here at least twice a week...I liked their risotto, their salads, the decor (sit in the back room, not near the front door) and their service.

Churrasco
Schlifflande 1
061 269 91 91
Argentinian steak house (a small Swiss chain and only if you really crave a steak. Live music occasionally. Near the Marktplatz across the street from the Rhine). Across the street (facing the restaurant) is an upstairs cafe whose name escapes me, but it's a great spot for watching the boats and swimmers in the Rhine. If you'll be in Basel during hot weather do NOT be surprised to see men walking around downtown in their bathing suits! They are jumping in and out of the river.

Cafes: Fumare, NonFumare (was very trendy, don't know if it still is, the smoking and nonsmoking room were separated by the building's main entrance.)

Schiesser cafe. On the Marktplatz. The cafe for the boutique Schiesser chocolate maker, one of the best chocolate makers in Switzerland (and Europe).

Sperber, the live music spot behind the Hotel Basel. Erratic schedule, but when they do have music, it's excellent.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:20 AM

oops, typo in the Safran web site. Should be www.safran-zunft.ch
Don't be confused when the first image you see on the web site is a golf course...click on "restaurant" for the relevant info.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help and the very useful information.
From Roma