Base in Siena or Val D'Orcia?

Jan 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Base in Siena or Val D'Orcia?

We have four nights to spend in Tuscany. I have always wanted to visit this region and stay in a farmhouse in the country side. I have spent hours finding places through vrbo, booking.com, and tripadvisor and have narrowed down a couple of places. We have found a nice spot in San Quirco. It seems like a nice area and nearby to other interesting towns such as Montepulciano, Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, etc. We also want to visit Siena, San Gim (is this a recommended place?) and the Chianti region. Since we will be leaving from Florence, and renting a car, we thought we would stop in Chianti on the way. Do you recommend staying all four nights in San Quirco and making a day trip to Siena, or spending two nights in the Sienna area and two nights in San Quirco? . Please share your thoughts! Thanks!!
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM

Good question !
Stop at San Gim. on your way south to cover that base but then go on to San Quirico for all 4 nites. A day trip to Siena is not hard from there, but I would do it first thing and be there by 0930 or before. On your way home take the road via Asciano and the Crete region. I often get my clients to base in San Quirico---a really nice village in a perfect location. I am curious where you plan to stay.
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:21 PM

Brendalena,
I would drop San Gimignano and drive theS222 down through Chianti to spend all four nights in San Quirico. If you need more places to see look at http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Bob, were thinking of Il Salcio, but haven't committed yet. We looked into Terre di Nano, but they are booked, at least according to booking.com. I emailed them directly, but haven't heard back. Any recommendation in that area for a 2 bedroom apartment/house is welcome. Are are any other towns in that area we should consider? I've already searched in Montepulciano and Pienza.
Jan 16th, 2011, 06:44 AM

http://www.poggiolo.info/
Or, Palazzo del Capitano
Or, Casa Lemmi
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. Waiting to hear from Poggiolo..that's exactly what I'm looking for! I found another place near Arezza, ironically called Il Poggiolo also. Do you think that would be a good area? Just trying to find the perfect place