Base in Provence?

Dec 24th, 2000, 07:46 AM
jackie

Base in Provence?

Driving or taking the train from Brive to Provence this summer (haven't decided on the mode of transportation yet). Plan on spending about 4 nights in Provence before taking the TGV back to Paris. What town would be a good base to stay in for the 4 nights? Even if we take the train to Provence we will probably rent a car while there for exploring. Would like something central, charming and close to trains so that it is not a huge hassle coming to or leaving from the region.
Thanks.

Dec 24th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Sue

We particularly like Arles (pop. 50,000) a lot, and for a smaller town St. Remy de Provence (pop 9,000) looks charming (we stopped for just a short time). Both are about 30 km from Avignon, from whence you can take the TGV to Paris (there is one around noon), so you could pick up and/or return car there (at train station).

Two web sites: www.provenceweb.com and www.beyond.fr will show pix and give info.

Dec 24th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Ellen

Definitely rent the car as some wonderful villages such as Gordes, Rousillon and Les Baux would otherwise not be easily accessible. I stayed 2 nights in Avignon and 2 in Arles. It depends what you prefer. I always like to stay in towns which are a little busier. I do agree with the other poster that St. Remy is very cute and is a very good geographic location for the area. If you can, be sure to go to the huge market in Arles that starts early Sat. morning and pretty much ends by noon.
Ellen

Dec 25th, 2000, 09:20 PM
Rex

While I generally agree with the "trio" of Arles-Avignon-Orange (south-to-north), there is some merit in considering Aix-en-Provence. I have never visited this place, but it seems like it might be pleasantly accommodating; I keep meaning to get there to see it someday.

<<La Campagne Jeanne>> - - see www.campagne-jeanne.com for more info.

Dec 26th, 2000, 09:21 AM
elizabeth

I just returned from a week in Provence. Stayed in Avignon one night and then St. Remy for four. Went to Arles, Isle Ste-Marie, Nimes, Les Baux, and a fez other towns, but I LOVED St. Remy. Stayed at the Hotel Valagues - INCREDIBLE staff and probably one of the best meals of my life (probably one of the most expensive too . If you would like any other info, please let me know.