Base for South France

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:25 PM
Wil

Base for South France

We are planning to spend a week or so in the South of France. Some friends have recommended making Aix-en-Provence a base and make day trips out to Nice, monte carlo, vence, orange and others. Any thoughts to this or recommendations for other places to make as a base? Is driving and parking a problem in Aix? Is Grasse worth making a trip to?

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:32 PM
Z

I recommend either staying in Nice since it is rather centrally located or if you prefer something quieter Mougins is fabulous.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:49 PM
J

St Paul de Vence is a nice base too. I would skip Grasse. Mougins is much better and close by.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:56 PM
Capo

Wil, since you're going to be there for a week, would you consider two different bases...for example, staying in Aix for half the time and Nice for the other half? (Or if Nice seems to big, another smaller town in the same general area?)

The old center of Aix has some fairly narrow streets so driving can, at times, be a bit tricky.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Randall Smith

Hi,

I kind of agree with Capo, because you're really talking about at least two distinctly different areas, The Cote d'Azur or the Riviera and Provence. What is unique about France, is that two areas that look so close on the map are almost entirely different with respect to food, accents, archetecture, history, and even climate. I would consider both unique and different. For Grasse, Antibe, Monte Carlo, Eze, Villefranche-sur-Mer, and St. Paul de Vence, Nice would be my choice. But for Avignon, Orange, Salon de Provence, Les Baux de Provence, the Luberon etc. I would choose Aix or Arle or Avingon.

The great thing is that you will love it no matter what you decide, and of coarse will have to return.

Bon Voyage!!!

Randy Smith

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:26 PM
Lauren

I used Montpellier as a base for a week in the South in March 2000. I chose Montpellier because my daughter was studying at the Universite. I found Montpellier not to be all that interesting but it functioned well as a base. I saw Les Baux, St. Guillhem le Desert, Le Pont de Gard, Avignon, Aigues Mortes and a couple other places.

Wherever you go, there will be plenty to see. Please remember that the whole of Europe is a museum. There is so much to see.

Just do your research and YOU choose. Then, remember to have a blast!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 07:20 PM
Abe

My wife and I will be in the south of France in July for 5 days coming from Barcelona by train, renting a car somewhere in the south of France and then driving off to northern Italy after 4-5 days in SofF.

I don't believe I will have enough time to see both Provence and the Riviera. Can someone please recommend one over the other for us, considering the time of year?

Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 09:13 PM
Portland

What's the current situation in Aix vis-a-vis roadwork? Anyone know if it's likely to still be torn up in latter half of July? Thanks!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 11:18 PM
PB

Portland,
I've avoided driving over to Aix, as friends who live outside of town say that the construction is still ongoing .... and with the vacationers starting to arrive, I imagine traffic will be a mess.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:53 AM
kk

I was in Aix last month and although the construction wasn't extensive, at least by my own Houston-based standards, it was enough to damage severely the charm of the place. I would wait for another year, myself. The famed Cours Mirabeau, supposedly one of the prettiest avenues in France, is not NOW.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:35 PM
Wil

Hi all

Thanks for the insights. Making two bases sound really good and the situation at Aix sounds bad. Any other recommendations?

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:57 PM
Desi

I agree with PB and kk. I drove into Aix last month, straight to the Cours Mirabeau, wove through mobs of people to the end of the street at approximately 3 miles per hour and went right back out of town without even stopping, it was so congested and UNcharming.

We stayed in Arles at the Hotel d'Arlatan, which I can highly recommend. If you are interested in info re places to eat in Arles, email me. Arles was a good base - close to many good places and plenty of good sightseeing and dining for the evening after our day jaunts elsewhere.