Base for exploring Rhine/Mosel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After several changes of our travel plan, it is now finalied we will come back to FRA from Turkey on a Friday in April, and leave for US on the following Monday afternoon. That means we have an entire weekend to explore this part of Germany.

We plan to focus on Rhine/Mosel area, probably an hour on the boat, plus a couple of castles. For raining day backup, we could visit Trier or Koln.

What I need help is to pick a base for our 3-night stay. We do not plan to rent a car, and prefer staying at the same place to minimize packing/unpacking. So far, I am considering Mainz, Rudesheim, and Cochem. The important factor is convenient rail connection, ambience for evening stroll, and good restaurant selection. Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM

Koblenz is a nice city, at the confluence of the Rhein and Mosel. It is not far to Cochem, and the pretty part of the Rhein starts about there, and goes for about 45km upriver. Take a train to one of the upriver towns (there are inexpnsive discount tickets available), and then take the boat downriver back to Koblenz.

On the Mosel, you could take the train to Trier, again use a boat downriver.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:00 PM

If you're staying in Cochem, I recommend a side trip to Burg Eltz, which is my favorite castle in Germany.

Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of public transportation or tours from Cochem to Burg Eltz are available, but the castle is truly worth seeing.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM

Koblenz has the best rail connections for both rivers but is a fairly modern larger city; best compromise might be Cochem, which has great atmosphere and a good selection of eateries and is close to Trier, Burg Eltz, and not far from the Rhine sights (Marksburg Castle in Braubach, St. Goar, and Bacharach; connect in Koblenz for all.

Cochem has its own castle too - Reichsburg - which has a good falconry show as well.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM

Hello Foggy:

If you are considering Rudesheim, I would suggest going a few km downriver to Assmannshausen and staying at the Hotel Krone:

http://www.hotel-krone.com/

Wonderful view of the river and fabulous restaurant. I think you would enjoy strolling around the village which has a very different atmosphere than the tourist crowds in Rudesheim. Good local river boat service. Train service available for day trips. We use the hotel to decompress before departing from FRA. Gradyghost
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:53 PM

We stayed in Cochem and used the rail exclusively. You can take the train to Moselkern then walk to Burg Eltz, Cochem has a castle, Reichsburg as well. We did a combo train to boat to get to Bernkastel-Kues.

To get to/from Frankfurt airport you'll have to switch trains in Koblenz if I remember correctly, so you could always stop there on your way to Cochem (we did) and see the sights in Koblenz.

Cochem has things to do, nice restaurants, and you can definitely walk around at night.