Bars in Madrid and Barcelona where a single woman will feel safe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a 30 year old woman traveling alone. I will be spending a few weeks in Spain next month. I'd like to get in on some of the famous nightlife in these two cities but am very wary of going to bars and nightclubs as a single woman. Anyone aware of any bars or lounges with good atmospheres that a single girl would be comfortable in?
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM

I've traveled to both cities as a single female and never felt uncomfortable in any (tapas) bars. I've never gone to a nightclub alone (just not my thing).

In Madrid I usually stay around the Plaza Mayor or Plaza Santa Ana. In Barcelona I personally prefer El Born. I use the same judgement at Spain as I would at home and have never experienced any issues. As the night progresses I tend to gravitate closer to my hotel so I don't have to walk home by myself late at night.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM

One place in El Born in BCN that I'm sure you'd feel very safe and would get wonderful wine is Vinya del Senyor right across from the Santa Maria del Mar church. Pleasant, classy place with real attention to good wines. I believe another is El Exampaynet (or something similar, spelling Spanish place names isn't my strong suit) which is a cava bar--oh, and Vinotecha Torres on Passeig de Gracia. Very cool. And very safe. the worst that could happen, it seems to me, is that you could meet a man, woman, couple or group who enjoys wine and wants to talk about it.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM

If you mean "drinking.. dancing.. socializing nightlife" I am not sure you will feel "safe" anywhere, frankly. I imagine it is much the same scene worldwide at these places.. isn't it?

If you mean going out at night for tapas.. a drink at a café bar.. that is a whole different normal environment and I think you will feel fine everywhere. Just take a taxi home unless it is a 2 minute walk. Do not defy fate at night. No metro.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 02:02 AM

My recs for Madrid are:

Areia Colonial Chillout
http://www.esmadrid.com/en/cargarApl...ntificador=244

Costello Café & Nite Club
http://www.esmadrid.com/en/cargarApl...entificador=97

Del Diego Cocktail Bar
http://www.esmadrid.com/en/cargarApl...ntificador=204
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I just returned from Madrid and stayed near the Plaza Santa Ana - there are a lot of good bars and restaurants close by. I didn't have any qualms about being by myself there. I did meet a friend near the Tribunal metro station one evening and went to a few coffee places and bars in that neighborhood. All were friendly sort of places that I wouldn't mind going alone. And at about 11pm, I took the Metro to a stop near my hotel. It was totally fine - there were lots of people on the metro and lots of people walking around on the blocks between the metro and my hotel.