Barging

Apr 3rd, 1999, 09:07 AM
R. Willson

Barging

My sister and I are considering one of the barge canal trips in France. We want clean, but not ritzy. Just relaxing with a chance to explore. Any ideas will be welcome. RW
ps I think this forum is great!

Apr 3rd, 1999, 09:13 AM
Cobie

Exitour organisation offers barge cruising in France, Burgundy, the most famous wine area.
Web site: http://www.jylmedia.com/web/exitour.htm

Apr 4th, 1999, 07:53 PM
NiceTriGuy

We were looking for the same info and finally found Blakes out of England who represent Crown Blue Line in France. Websites
http://www.crown-holidays.co.uk/english/begin.htm

It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Apr 8th, 1999, 08:25 AM
p.jones

Arthur.Here are some companies that specialize in barge cruising. Some may have websites, but I have old catalogs I sent for before I chose the one we took in 1995. TravLtips 1-800-872-8584;
LeBoat,Inc. 1--800-922-0291; European Waterways 1-800-217-4447;Continental Waterways has only French addresses, but I reached their Dir.Sales in Miami at 305-532-3572 in '95 where he spends the winter.(Mr. John Senior;Abercrombie and Kent-1-800-323-7308;French Country Waterways,Ltd.1-800-222-1236; and Kemwel 1-800-234-4000.The one I ended up taking was with a private French couple who own "Penelope" that is based in Auxerre,in Burgundy. I found them through a French catalog for people who want to also run their own trips on the canals.Last time I heard from them a couple from England was running their boat(don't know the circumstances,but you can reach the owner by airmail @ M. Dominique Brejat Quai de la Marine 89000 Auxerre Tel.86 52 09 90. At that time they offered me a great rate if I paid cash (pers. check), but don't know if still offered.
This "peniche" as these hotel barges are called, took only a few passengers and could or could not include dinner, depending on the plan. At that time, August, it was absolutely delightful. We were the only real guests as they had relatives along and most everyone spoke English.
The food was wonderful and the scenery and side trips great. This trip was on the Nivernais Canal for 6 days. Vessel was immaculate. Everyone very friendly. I highly recommend it. The others are more commercial,and larger and go down the Burgundy Canal. So see a good travel agent for the big ones or call for brochures and make your own comparisons. Definitely call or write to Brejat. Be sure to tell them where you heard about them. The Americans from Florida in 1995. You will love whichever one you choose. However. Be prepared for a hefty price on all of them. A unique experience to be sure.
"Floating through Burgundy". Bon Voyage.

Apr 8th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Dick Hardy

Check into French Country Waterways (800-222-1236).They offer very luxurious hotel barges with superb cooking and wines with one evening at a 3-star restaurant. You travel with a van which takes you to local sites (some of which are not available to other tour groups). Their also own their own fleet of boats (unlike the other companies which merely serve as agents or lease them) and maintain rigorous quality control.The prices are in line with the other lines, too. Let me know if you need more information - we went with them in July '97. Dick