Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona with San Sabastian or Mallorca?

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am planning trip in late Aug-beginning of September to Barcelona. We are 2 girls in our "young 40's" who are looking for a mix of culture, art, good food, good wine, nightife and ending our stay with a little laid back beach time.

I am having a hard time trying to plan and fit all of the above in. My original thought was to start out in Barcelona Fri -Mon, then head to San Sabastian Tue-Thu and then end up in Malllorca Fri-Sun but now that I research am not sure both San Sabastian and Mallorca will be doable. I am now thinking to fly into Barcelona and stay there Fri-Wed as our home base where we would check out Barcelona for 3 days and then do day trips to Montserrat, Figures and Penedes. From there we would spend Thu-Sun in either San Sabastian or Mallorca for our end of trip relaxing beach time.

If anyone could suggest if all 3 destinations would work or if staying in Barcelona for most of the time and then hopping over to either Mallorca or San Sabastian for our last few days would make more sense, it would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind we would arrive Fri am and depart either sun or possibly mon the following week from the states, so only have about 10 days.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 12:01 PM

We visited San Seb last May and loved it. We are going back with our kids this spring and renting an apartment for 4 nights. I don't know much about Mallorca but it could be a lot hotter in August than San Sebastian and also more built up and commercial. Loved San Seb old world charm and the food is amazing. We took bus to Bilbao for the day and saw some of the countryside and Guggenheim museum. Combo of Barcelona and SS would be great.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 07:11 PM

It's a difficult choice. Both San Sebastian-Donostia and Mallorca are busy in late August, ealy September, but if if were up to me, I would not hesitate to opt for SS, but then I's a little bised, preferring spending more time with my Basque friends and associates.

Generally speaking, the cuisine if fine at both destinations, but quite different in the Basque country. And the beaches at SS are hard to beat.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM

I'd definitely only visit 2 of these locations ifnit were me - choosing between Mallorca or San Sebastian. Which one to choose is based on your interests but I have a large bias to the Basque Country. If you do choose San Sebastian younmay investigate the possibility of flying home via Bilbao. I usually fly in from the US. to Bilbao via Patis.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 01:13 AM

About San Sebastián, my favourite city on the planet, in New York Times recently. Gives you an idea, but a bit strange hotel recommendations. Lots of more central, charming, luxcurious or affordable places in this plain fantastic city. http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/08/07...tin-spain.html