CDG to TGV Gare de Lyon Timing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a couple posts similar to this topic but I feel more comfortable asking this question and including our specific details just to make sure we're not taking too much of a risk with our plans.

Our plane arrives at 5:35 am on 2/13/12. We are planning to go to Nice that same day and were wondering if it would be feasible to catch the 8:49 am train at the Paris Gare de Lyon station. One thing we're concerned about is the ticket for the 8:49 am train is a Prems so it's not refundable should anything happen.

We are going to be going through customs, picking up baggage from the carousel and potentially picking up our tickets at the TGV kiosk in GDL (not sure if I can print the tickets from home). How is CDG when it comes to customs and baggage pickup?

We're open to ideas on the quickest mode of transportation from the airport to GDL. It sounds like the Air France bus is the best way from what I've read. Please help allay my wife's fears!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM

It will make a considerable difference whether you have tickets in hand or have to pick them up at Gare de Lyon. You never know how long the lines will be at the ticket windows or how quickly they will move. But, you should be able to print Prem tickets at home.

But, even with tickets in hand, 8:49 would be cutting it too close for me. You could probably make it if everything goes smoothly, but I'd allow at least four hours.

It's usually an hour from landing, through passport control, luggage pick-up to the AF stop or RER station. Then, I'd allow about an hour to get to the station via AF or the RER. With bags, AF would be easier and more convenient. But, any of that could take longer. Or other things could take time, like your plane not being assigned a gate immediately if it arrives a bit early or late. Sometimes the bags don't come out right away. (Other times they're there when you get there.) Will you need to stop at an ATM?

Note also that Gare de Lyon is enormous and you'd want to allow time to orient yourselves so you know which direction to head when your track number is posted. And, you'd probably want to visit the rest rooms, stop for a beverage or snack or collect same for your journey.

It's far better to allow an extra hour or two, even though you want to be on your way. You may be very tired and not moving at top speed, especially if your flight is an overnight flight. Having time to spare is far better than rushing all about, going crazy in lines, only to miss your train by a few minutes and having to purchase new tickets.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM

First, the sequence of events after landing is passport control (takes some indefinite time depending on who are ahead of you), picking up baggage, then the customs. Unless you have something to declare, going through customs is limited by how quickly you can walk through with your luggage. It is a non event even though many folks ask the same question.

You can probably make it. The PREM (should be ~46€ if you buy early enough) printed at home eliminates the wasted time getting lost at Gare de Lyon (which is huge) looking for ticket windows with likely long queues.

Also, the Air France bus comes with two elements that slow you down. Look at their site:

http://videocdn.airfrance.com/cars-a.../index_en.html, click "Lines" and then "4" that goes to Gare de Lyon.

Presuming there are two of you, the upside is that the cost is €16.50*2 = €33. However, first count against you is that the bus runs every 30min. The second count against you is that the bus makes several stops before even leaving the airport further adding time to the trip.

The taxi trip is ~50-60€, it does not have the frequency issue, but the taxi queue can also be long. By the way, you need cash to ride taxi, so if you don't have Euro with you, get cash asap after you land. I try to find an ATM in the luggage carousel area to make good use of time while I wait for the luggage.

In case you have to hop onto the train at the last minutes; there is a precaution. The Paris-Nice train, at least the ones I have taken, is usually a long train consisting of two separate units of about 8 cars each. You cannot move from the front half to the rear half. In the middle are two locomotives connected head to head. If you have to hop onto a car which is not your car, you can get to your car after the train starts moving provided you got onto the correct half of the train. If you are on a wrong car but correct class, you will not get into a problem with the fare inspector, but you might not be sit down if the train is full.

I don't know if you can print your ticket at an SNCF kiosk. I know you cannot buy tickets with magnetic strip only CC.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:27 AM

I would like to add an other point to take into consideration: Landing at 5h35 on a Monday morning means you get out of the airport, normally, between 6h30 and 7h00. At that time, you will be in the morning rush hour. It may delay quite a bit you arrival at Gare de Lyon
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM

While I assume you are considering the 08h49 from Gare de Lyon to Nice because 46€ PREMs are available (meaning you can print the tickets at home), I do not think you have sufficient time to guarantee your making this connection.

It´s difficult to know exactly what will be the fastest option to Gare de Lyon. If there is a line at the taxi queue it generally moves quickly. Most all of the taxis now accept credit cards but confirm this with the driver before you depart the station if you want to use one. Monday morning traffic might be heavy but taxis have special lanes along A1 which can save you some time en route.

You might have to wait up to 30 minutes for the next departing AF Bus and depending upon from which terminal you try to catch it, you might be spending additionally time orbiting the airport to pick up other passengers. The bus will be in the same traffic as the taxi. I would not select this option if time is a factor.

You can try the RER B to Châtelet, transferring to the RER A2/A4 to reach Gare de Lyon. The slowdown here can be the ticket queue but you can purchase tickets at one of the kiosks which by the way will accept magnetic strip credit cards (one the few places in Paris that will). The train will be full and the transfer at Châtelet probably hectic but you will otherwise avoid the morning rush hour traffic.

However, the solution I would strongly recommend would be to take the 11h58 train from CDG to Nice. The current fare is 78€ but you´ll avoid the Gare de Lyon transportation expense and give yourself time to avoid any unknown delays (always possible with air travel). It´s a bit of a wait but your chances of missing the train are greatly reduced.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Is there some reason you aren't going directly from the CDG TGV station to Nice? I know it seems like a long time to hang around the airport, but it's probably going to save you $$, and it certainly will guarantee that you'll make your train.

Landing at CDG is always unpredictable. I've often spent close to an hour on the plane after landing while it slowly taxis all over the place and finally comes to a stopping point. And back when I checked luggage it could take forever to get my bag. Then you have the sometimes insanely long immigration (it's not customs unless you are declaring something - it's immigration) lines.

I say take the 11:58 and enjoy coffee, a light breakfast, and people-watching at one of the many cafés at the airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:54 AM

If it were me, I'd buy a daypass to your airport lounge and then relax there and take a shower for a few hours after arrival, taking the train from CDG train station.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Agree with the others that taking the TGV at the airport seems to be the easiest... I did it on my last trip ( not the same destination though) and the 1.5 hour wait went super fast. The stress of heading into Paris wouldnt be worth the savings to me...
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:38 AM

I wouldn't do it, either, although it is certainly possible you could make that. But you are doing this solely to save some money on the PREMs vs. regular fare. So that much money is important to you, in which case, I wouldn't want to bet that is foolproof. Besides, you will spend around 25 euro getting there, won't you? So that reduces your savings some.

If I were you, I'd either stay at CDG and take the train at 8:30 or 9:58 for 105-108 euro (both have changes, but the first changes to a TER and the latter a TGV, but to be honest, you get there earlier on the 8:30, anyway) OR just book the direct from GDL that is later in the day. There is one at 10:49 from GDL to Nice, no changes, and the prem is only 64 euro (versus what you want at 46 euro). I probably wouldn't choose the one for 78 euro at 11:58 as it gets there later than all others, and still has a change, and is still a very long wait at the airport. Not worth 25 euro or so savings to me.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM

If you don't want to wait around at CDG to take the 11:58 train, my recommendation would be to take the 10:49 train from Gare de Lyon which arrives at Nice Ville at 16:46. The Prem's fares are gone for 13 February on this train, but you still can get a Loisir Reduit fare of €64/person. As with Prem's, you can print your own Loisir Reduit fare tickets.

IMO, the best way from CDG to Gare de Lyon is to take the RER B to Gare du Nord and the RER D from there to Gare de Lyon. This allows you to avoid the maze at Chatelet-Les Halles. It's faster than the Air France bus and also cheaper (€9.25).
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback it was really helpful!

I'm currently debating hanging out at CDG and taking the 11:58 to arrive at 18:27 in Nice or taking the AF bus to GDL to get on the 10:49 to arrive at 16:26 in Nice. The main reason I'm considering this is because I would get into Nice a couple hours earlier. The question is whether the additional hassle of getting on the AF to get to GDL is worth the time savings. Anyone with experience care to weigh in?

Here's a table I built to help make my decision:

Stn1 Time Stn2 Time Cost $Dif TDif
CDG 6:58 Nice 13:33 $194 $33 2:53
CDG 8:30 Nice 15:05 $209 $48 1:21
CDG 11:58 Nice 18:27 $156 ($5) -2
GDL 10:49 Nice 16:26 $128 0:00
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM

I've taken the AF navette to GDL innumerable times. It's not what I would call a hassle. If it's worth it to you to have 2 extra hours in Nice, do it.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Your schedule is incomplete and the prices are wrongs, not sure where you are getting that info from. First, you are quoting in dollars and fares are in euro, so now I suspect you are getting this info from Raileurope. You aren't considering the changes, which would be a factor to me, either (ie, the 11:58 and 8:30 have changes. There is a 9:58 also which you don't list (changes in Aix for 108 euro, about the same price as the 8:30 train), and there is an 11:40 train you don't list which is direct from CDG.

So you can't make the best decision without all the choices and correct info. Those prices are not accurate, even with today's exchange rate.

the 6:58 is 97 euro
the 8:30 is 105 euro
the 8:49 is 46 euro
the 10:49 is 64 euro
the 11:58 is 78 euro
there is a 9:58-16:26 at 108 euro
there is a 11:40-18:05 at 100 euro
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Obviously, it depends on whether you care to spend extra on train fare to get to Nice a couple of hours earlier.

You should be easily able to catch the 8:30 train from CDG.

I wouldn't call the AF coach a hassle either. Even if you just miss a bus to GDL and have to wait another 30 minutes, you have plenty of time if you're taking the 10:49 train. Note that you'd have to add the AF coach fare to your table.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM

I found one more option on the SNCF site. You can take a direct TGV from CDG to Nice, departing at 11:40 and arriving at 18:05. As of a few minutes ago, the best fare at the moment is €100/person (not exactly a bargain).

If you take the 11:58 TGV, you will have to connect to another TGV in Aix-en-Provence. The best fare is a Loisir Reduit fare of €78/person and the SNCF site says those tickets are nearly gone.

My choice definitely would be to take the 10:49 TGV from Gare de Lyon. You'll get to Nice sooner, you'll save some money, even when adding in the cost of getting to Gare de Lyon on the Air France bus, and you won't need to connect in Aix.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:03 AM

BTW the 9:58 and 11:40 trains leave from CDG, as well as the 6:58 and 11:58 ones
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I had to put dollar signs because I pasted this from a spreadsheet (spreadsheet formulas wouldn't work with E at the end of the value). The prices are high because they are for two people. As for not listing everything, I purposely left off routes that were much more expensive than the options I was considering. If I missed one that was a good option I'm all ears (and eyes).

Can you elaborate on the significance of the changes? I thought the arrival time on the tgv website took into account any changing of trains.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Yes, the Web site takes connections into account.

Leave CDG at 09:58 and arrive in Aix-en-Provence at 13:31. Leave Aix at 13:47 and arrive at Nice Ville at 16:26.

Leave CDG at 11:58 and arrive at Aix-en-Provence at 15:30. Leave Aix at 15:47 and arrive at Nice Ville at 18:27.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

I'm leaning toward the GDL 10:49 train at this point. My table's cost difference calculations assumed a 33E cost for riding the AF so the formula in my spreadsheet used a 161E value for the GDL 10:49. The other alternatives at this point are more to much more expensive for an earlier arrival of 1.5 to 2 hours. My travel time is valuable but in this case it really doesn't add up from a cost perspective.

I truly appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. I definitely couldn't have made this decision without the information I learned here! Now let's hope Fodor's doesn't delete this thread like they did with my last one (Looking for something different from Paris). I honestly have no clue what was wrong with that thread to cause it to be removed.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Since you're leaning toward the 10:49 departure from Gare de Lyon, I'll suggest that you consider taking the RER B and RER D to Gare de Lyon rather than the Air France bus. Although it requires a connection and the AF bus doesn't, it's easy if you're packing light. (See my post above for the details.) But if you'll be loaded down with luggage, then the AF bus is the better choice, even though it costs more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -