Barcelona to Nice by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling from Barcelona to Nice Oct 2005 & would like to take the train (can not find a flight under $600 and do not want to drive) I'd like feedback from anyone who has done this (my research so far indicates it's quite a lengthy trip, about 10 hours, and there is a switch of trains and a customs stop---it's sounding pretty intimidating to me! Any reassurance, tips would be greatly appreciated)
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I assume you have already checked schedules (train, that is) and know that it can take up to three changes depending on which train you take (mininum number is 1 change).

The "border crosssing" is basically a non-issue..here's how it usually works. At the last station in Spain the French Customs/Immigration officials will board the train and start their walk-through. They may or may not look at your passport. At the first station in France they get off.

I know what I'm about to say might sound crazy but are you aware that you could fly from Barcelona on EasyJet to Geneva and connect there for their flight to Nice. What with connection times and so forth it may take as long as the train although I doubt it and I suspect if you booked those flights now you would get away with a lot less than $600. Be aware, however, that you would have to claim your luggage in Geneva and re-check it for the outbound flight.

Hope this helps some.
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Oops..sorry..being that both Spain and France are EU members I'm not sure there will even be a Customs/Immigration walk-through.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM

A Talgo train from Barcelona to Montpelier should connect you with a train direct to Nice. The Talgo portion is relatively high speed and very pleasant. Advance reservations are required.

If you find the schedules, etc., confusing (as I did), I suggest booking through one of the agents that books a lot of European train travel.

I don't know the schedules, but 10 hours seems excessive. I think it was 3 or 4 to Montpelier.
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:23 AM

Again, the fastest connection is about 10 hours; you can check these yourself on the GermanRail site www.bahn.de
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:52 AM

By day, the easiest is the Talgo train from Barcelona to Montpellier, then on to Nice, possibly changing at Marseille. There is an overnight train from the French border at Cerbère to Nice, but it doesn't seem to have sleepers - only couchettes and reclining seats.
France and Spain are both Schengen countries, so there are no passport or customs controls. The railways are a different gauge (the Spanish tracks are wider) so the only through trains are the Talgo trains which have wheels that are adjusted; otherwise, you have to change at Cerbère, the first station in France.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM
jay

It is a 10 hr trip at the fastest. As others have said, there is a train switch in Montpieller and then it is a straght shot to Nice. To me it doesnt sound intimidating, just a very long day. We were going both cities this winter but ended up just doing Nice and the surrounding areas. We will do Barcelona next year.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM

What carrier are you flying from the U.S. to Europe? The reason I ask is that we are doing a similar itinerary only in reverse this July. Depending on what carrier you're using transatlantically, you can sometimes tack on intra-European flights at a much reduced price. I found out about this through GARDYLOO, another contributor on the forum, and as a result, I am flying from Nice-Barcelona for about $130 US.

American and its other partners participate in this program. I think Continental may have something similar. It's certainly worth checking into since the trip from Barcelona-Nice by train is a hassle!

Old May 18th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the information. Due to some other problems , I'll be postponing the entire trip. You've given me great ideas for when I rebook.