Barcelona to Bilbau

Feb 4th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Adrienne Moore

Barcelona to Bilbau

My husband and I are flying into Barcelona and flying out of Lisbon sixteen days later this summer. I am very interested in visiting the Guggenheim Museumin in Bilbau, but want to make sure we have plenty of time for Barcelona, Segovia, Madrid,and Andalucia as well. Any suggestions on special day trip to Bilbau or preferred itineraries? Thanks for the help.

Feb 4th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Maribel

Adrienne,
Unless you and your husband are very speedy sightseers, this seems a bit too ambitous an itinerary for only 16 days. The distances are vast. You may want to limit yourselves to a much smaller area for the time you have alloted. Just a thought.
Now, I'll let others weight in on that...

Unfortunately Barcelona-Bilbao can't be done on a day trip (and the Gugg. is closed on Mon). if you'd still like to go (the building is spectacular- definitely worth the trip), the speediest way to Bilbao, of course, is by plane; by car you should take the superhighway A2/E90 to Zaragoza, 68/E804 to Miranda de Ebro, then north on E5/E80 to Bilbao, a distance of 380 miles which should take about 6 hrs., says www.mappy.com This is a toll route.

Hope this helps a bit.

Feb 4th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Maribel

Adrienne,
Forgot to mention: flights to Bilbao from Barcelona take an hr. Several non-stops daily.

Feb 8th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Maribel

Maribel, thanks so much for making us realize we don't want to speed through Spain. Could you please recommend stops between Barcelona and Madrid, then to Lisbon? I understand the Hotel America in the Alhambra is an exceptional experience. Your thoughts and ideas are really appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 8th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Pedro

Supposing you travel by car among Barcelona and Madrid, an interesting and surprising place to stay is Hotel Monasterio de Piedra in Zaragoza province. The hotel is part of and old convent just by beautiful waterfalls. In this arid part of Spain!

Another beautiful place to stay is SigŁenza ( Guadalajara province ). There is a 4 stars Parador within a castle and also a huge cathedral.

Among Madrid and Lisbon:

Salamanca ( I would say, a must in Spain )

Merida or Trujillo are also interesting places to stay overnight. Evora in Portugal, too.

Feb 9th, 2001, 04:29 AM
???

Is the machine acting up here? I see a message by Maribel TO Maribel?
I'm new here and don't quite understand what happened?

Feb 9th, 2001, 08:59 AM
rw

hi adrienne, you've seen the previous comment about rushing through spain...let me offer a couple suggestions...first of all, barcelona rules! i would then head to madrid, and then head to seville and granada. bilbao is probably a little too far off the track for this trip; but the alhambra is amazing!! i really wasn't expecting the power of that place...hope i'm not touting too much for you...and then jet on over to continue your itinerary in portugal..great trip you have line up!