Barcelona/Seville?

Jun 29th, 1999, 06:20 PM
Lou

Barcelona/Seville?

Will be travelling to Barcelona in early November and have about 9 days. Seems everyone recommends Barcelona over Madrid, but also LOVE Seville. Is the 7 hr train ride from Barcelona to Seville worth the trip? Any other recommendations for those two areas? Want to relax not spend all my time going from town to town.

Jun 29th, 1999, 07:01 PM
wendy

You can take a night train from Sevilla to Barcelona or vice-versa.
If you've never been to Spain, you may not want to miss Madrid. I love Madrid - that city's got a vibe like no other. Plus, the museums are first-rate.
With nine days, I would spend 3 in each. Are you flying into Barcelona or Madrid?

Jun 30th, 1999, 05:40 AM
Maria

Lou,
I am with Wendy on this one...Madrid is a great town with lots to do...yes, totally different from Barcelona but I sure wouldn't miss it entirely. Also, I agree wth the Sevilla recommendation. From Madrid the AVE train is a 2 1/2 hour ride to Sevilla and 3 days would be perfect. In 9 days you will see 3 totally different slices of an incredible country...however depending on your personal preferences you might want to have less "big city" time, Good luck! Maria

Jun 30th, 1999, 05:54 AM
Jeanie

I would say skip Sevilla, it is not worth the train ride. It is a nice enough place, but I didn't think there was that much to do, I was kind of disappointed by it. Madrid was nice though.

Jun 30th, 1999, 08:54 AM
cp

Sorry, I have to say Skip Madrid!, go to Sevilla.
I spent a week in the Madrid/Toledo area. I found that while it is true, the Prado is a world class museum, it did not make up for the cold, charmless city that is Madrid. It's just another big city, blah.
I thought that Seville encompassed what I would call the "heart and soul" of Spain. It's charming, it's scenic, the people are more friendly in the south.
Take a night train or the AVE you won't regret it.

Jun 30th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Thomas Nastos

We love Madrid and are going back next week. We walk a lot and see many interesting locations. We walk to the bullring and come back a different way. We like the street musicians at evening time. We wouldn't miss the typical tourist things on a first trip. The museum at the bullring is fascinating and ...free.

Jun 30th, 1999, 12:28 PM
bp

My husband and I took a 10 day trip to Spain. We flew into Madrid and immediately hopped on a flight to Sevilla, time was precious and the price of the train was the same as our flight on Iberia!! We then took aflight to Madrid and a flight to Barcelona, all of the segments were the same price as the train. So I would check it out and you could see all of the cities. Definitely go to Seville!

Jul 8th, 1999, 01:08 PM
Steve

My wife and I just got back from europe on saturday. We made the long train trip from Nice to Seville with a 5 hour stop over in Barcelona.

In Barcelona we walked from the Train station to the port. It seemed like a very nice city and felt extremely safe!. There is a very beautiful street that goes North-east from the port and has a large pedestrian boulevard between the two lanes.. very fun!!!

We wish that we had arranged to stay for a few days in Barcelona!

We had reserved the First class compartment for two in the Barcelona-Seville Night Train. It was quite comfortable and had a surprisingly good nights sleep. The train leaves at 10:00pm and arrives in Seville at 8:50am. Our train was an hour late and none staff seemed concerned by this.

Our experience in Seville was very limited... ie. taxi ride from Train Station to the Bus Station and then the veiw from the bus as we headed west to Portugal. Seville appeared to have serveral new buildings and to be doing well economically.

We had trouble trying to reserve Spainish Trains from Europe. I would definitely advise you to make the reservations before you leave!