Reload this Page >

Barcelona or Sevilla

Search

Barcelona or Sevilla

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Canucklehead

Barcelona or Sevilla

I am planning on heading over to Paris, my second visit, for a week during the second week of September. I would like to take another week and fly down to Spain but cannot make up my mind on Barcelona or Sevilla and the south (never been to Spain). I must say Andalucia has always intrigued me but Barcelona sounds like a great place also. What should I do? Thanks!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Pedro

September is fine to visit Andalucia and also Barcelona regarding the weather. It really depends on what you want to see and do. Andalucia is quite different from Barcelona and they both are great, so if you are looking for a city stay, maybe Barcelona has some more to offer for a long stay, but if you do not mind to rent a car and make some trips you will probably find more attractive Andalusian countryside than industrial Barcelona surroundings. Both Sevilla and Barcelona have direct flights with Paris so that would not either be a problem. The fact is that Barcelona is more cosmopolitan, lively and modern while Sevilla is more traditional, exotic and monumental.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 06:59 AM
BB

Boy, That's tough...I think it depends what you want...a taste of Old Spain....Sevilla...or a energenic city full of art and architecture...Barcelona! How about three days in each? Flights between the two are cheap...less that $100 each way and easy to book!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Jean Valjean

I'd flip a coin... <BR> <BR>Barcelona is cosmopolitan, vibrant, exciting, full with incredible architecture, an amazing gothic quarter, great restaurants and clubs, very good shopping and not at all what people usually have in mind when they think of Spain. Day trips can also be very rewarding. Figueres, Girona, Tarragona, Poblet, Santas Creus and the Costa Brava come to mind. <BR> <BR>OTOH, Sevilla is beautiful, relaxed, romantic, moorish and unforgetable. Great food, too. Sevilla embodies what people think when they think of Spain. Granada and Cordoba are destinations on their own right. <BR> <BR>HOWEVER, I've just noticed WHEN you could be in Spain. The third week in September is time for "La Merce" festivities in Barcelona. This has to be one of the most entertaining and exciting festivals anywhere. Taking that in mind, and if you could be in Spain from Sept 21-24, I would definitely say Barcelona. If not, I'd really flip a coin. You can't go wrong with either.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Canucklehead

Thanks for the replies! Sevilla and the Moorish influence is very intriguing to me and the fact it is the "real" Spain. On the other hand Barcelona tempts me with the Mediterranean aspect and it is closer to Paris although, being solo, it's now infamous reputation for petty thievery is always a cause for concern. How long would it take to get from Paris to Barcelona by train? Perhaps I can fly open jaw into Paris and back to Canada from Barcelona? Thanks again!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:21 AM
tommy

In my experience, Seville is not much different than Barcelona in terms of petty thievery.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Lou

Hi, <BR>Just my opinions: <BR>Barcelona has Gaudi, who I love. The Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo, Park Guell, etc. are all great. The Picasso Museum is pretty good, and the Miro Foundation is incredible. The food is great as well. People were very friendly to us, and it is a relaxed atmosphere. Don't stay near the Ramblas, and be prepared for the smell of urine, which permeates the entire old city. Although I enjoyed it, I could never drag my wife back there because it was so dirty (compared to NY, Paris, Prague, Rome.) I would love to see southern Spain though. <BR>Best wishes...

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Shelly

I love both Barcelona and Seville. But if you can only choose one, then I would pick Seville. It's a truly beautiful city!