Reload this Page >

Barcelona or Not???

Search

Barcelona or Not???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Geraldine

Barcelona or Not???

I know Bruce hates Barcelona but I would like some help in trying to book this years vaccation for family with 2 teenagers? Should we stay in Barcelona is there enough to keep the teenagers occupied? Any suggestions for a hotel in Barcelona with a swimming -pool or near beach! Is Stiges really a Gay Beach Resort???

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:18 PM
John G

Yes, Gerry, Stiges is a gay resort, but you can go too. Gay people don't discriminate. They may criticize your shoes, however.<BR><BR>I know a good hotel in Barcelona, but it doesn't have a pool. It is Hotel Cristal at 257 Diputacion. It is right off of the elegant Passeig de Gracia, and only 2 blocks from Las Rambles.<BR><BR>I certainly would think there is enough for your kids to do in Barcelona. Send them to a disco.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:50 PM
oscar wilde

Yes Gerryjuice - Stiges is a gay destination however it attracts a more older group and their admirers. But remember, 1 out of every 10 is gay. Hotels with pools in Barcelona are few - Hotel Claris and Hotel Condes de Barcelona are two that I know of. There's plenty to do in Barcelona - I'm just not sure if it would interest teenagers. Also the Hotel Arts ( www.harts.es) is in Barcelona, has a pool and is also on the "beach".

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Faith

I would definately go to Barcelona. I went when I was 17...about 3 years ago and I had a great time. There is plenty to do for people of all different ages.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:40 AM
kavey

I thought it was SITGES?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Julie

I can think of no city with more appeal for teens than Barcelona. It's a very "happening"place with trendy fashion statements everywhere, especially the discos. The architecture is fanciful and phenomenal. Take them to the park (can't remember the name right now) that was built during the 1929 World's Fair to show buildings from every area of Spain. it's kind of like Epcot and has an incredible two story disco that looks like a castle (Torre something or other) Sorry for these memory lapses. I'm away from my journals and can't give accurate details. The Ramblas has more character than almost any street I can think of and would surely provide something to interest teens. Eating tapas is a teen thing. It would be hard to find a reasonably priced hotel with pool in the inner city but there is enough to do that you won't need it. I'd stay in the inner city rather than drive in from a beach daily. Spend a couple of days separately at a beach. Check out the hotels and beaches on the Costa Brava north of Barcelona--Roses, Cadaque, etc. Be sure to see Montserrat and do a tour of the sparkling wine houses--Frexeneit or Cordorniu. It is Sitges rather than Stiges but I can't offer info on it since I've not been there. I've read that it's one of the better beaches south of Barcelona.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Barry

Totally agree with Julie, Barcelona is a great place for young people. La Rambla IS one of the world's great street scenes! There is an entertainment area down at the end of La Ramble across from the Columbus statue that has restaurants and a lot of night life. A great place for a family to stau is the Citadines right on La Rambla. It is an "apartment hotel" so all the room are in fact two or three room suites with fully equipped kitchens at no higher price (and sometimes cheaper) than the surrounding "normal" hotels. <BR><BR>We have been to Barcelona 3 times in the last 3 years and absolutely love it gt<BR><BR>Barry