Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Experts - Please help with monthly apt. rental

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a monthly rental in Barcelona. My budget is under 2500 euros/month. My only requirements are that the apt. has high speed Internet (which eliminates alot of apts.) and a washing machine. The apt. will be for my husband, myself and my 2 boys - 6 and 7 years old.

I'm not familiar with Barcelona, and I'm a bit confused about what neighborhood would be a good fit for me. I'd like to be in a family area, not too touristy, and with close access to a metro and a park. I know that I don't want to be close to La Rambla - too busy. I think the Barrio Gothic would also be too busy. My husband will be frequently out of town for work, so I would like to be in an area where it is safe for me and kids to walk at night alone.

From what I've read, my first choice is Barceloneta Beach. Unfortunately, the apartments I've found in my price range are very small - 35m2. I'm not sure if this area is so awesome that I should trade off being cramped to live within walking distance to the beach. Some agencies have recommended these apartments to me, but I'm not sure about the location.

http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ba...ment-143-1.htm - Junction of Avinguda Diagonal, Carrer d' Arago, Carrer de la Marina

http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ba...ment-177-1.htm - Gran Via de Cortz Catalanes - Plaza de Espana and Fira Montjuic

http://www.akaza.net/en/apartments/B...d_Classic.html - Barceloneta Beach

http://www.vivebarcelona.com/start_frame.php?r=a&l=GB - Close to Carrer de pl margal - Parc Güell - Gracia

Thanks so much for all of your help. I am truly clueless about Barcelona, and really need a point in the right direction from where to look further. C
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Topping - If anyone could tell me good areas and places to avoid that would be an incredible help - C
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM

I recently returned from Barcelona and stayed on Paseo (Passeig) de Gracia close to c/ Mallorca and love that area.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM

After looking at these pictures, I *would not* choose the one in Barceloneta. I have stayed by the beach and have stayed more in the north/center of town and much prefer the latter.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MichelleNYC for your quick response. I've buried my head in the Internet this weekend looking at apts. and have decided against Barceloneta Beach and have found a few places that I like in the Montjuic area. Thanks again - C
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM

Hiya ParisEscapes,
From your first ideas at the top, I would strike off number 2 and 3.

i think you should look for somewhere in el borne, which is city central and close to the zoo (with the park) and the beach, but quite relaxed. it doesnt receive as much tourist attention as gotico and the apartments are generally bigger than in barceloneta (barceloneta apts not good sizes for families).
i also have to recommend gracia (my barrio) for its lovely tranquil atmosphere, but a 10 minute commute to the city centre. its is more economical and very pretty. there is also quite a good emphasis on family, with frequent kids days in the plazas.
you have not mentioned when you are going?
have a read of the areas on this guide:
http://www.way2stay.com/area-info-Barcelona-en-52.htm
way2stay also have some good options for apartments. definitely stick to either el borne or gracia, for space and location.
montjuic is a little hard for commuting.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travel Buzzing - I was hoping that you'd find my thread and reply since I've also found your Barcelona info very helpful. Thanks also for the link.

I really like El Borne, but I haven't been able to find anything in my price range with Internet access for the month of June.

I like Gracia, and even more so, since you mention that its a laid back area with alot of kids. Are there any streets in Gracia that I should avoid when looking at apartment locations?

I have been looking at maps and am confused why you find Plaza de Espana to not be a good location. It looks like it is readily accessible by metro to anywhere in the city. Of course, I've never been to Barcelona and I'm clueless, so if you could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help. I can't wait for my trip to Barcelona!!! - C
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 01:55 AM

For me, Pl. Espanya is out of the way, maybe a bit sterile too.
The marina/beach up to Gracia in a wide vertical belt is what i'd call the centre, i.e. a constant feel of "city centre".
Sants/montjuic/Pl. Esp is like you're travelling a little and Metro/buses are more complicated.

You're right to look into this in advance. The Sonar music festival falls in the middle of June and creates a lot of competition for apts.
With your budget, maybe a studio, but a studio with a washing machine?
Have you checked prices for the other apartments you've been recommended? they're about 4500 euro.

I think you have to compromise on your budget or your location. or maybe look for a sublet on loquo.com.

Do remember that by being in a walkable location (like el borne) you'd save heaps on public transport.

PS. i can't think of a single street in gracia to avoid. the best areas are calle verdi (absolute best), gran de gracia, plaza del sol, plaza rius i taulet
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again travel buzzing. Your description of Pl. Espana, city central and Gracia is invaluable to me - thanks for taking the time.

The apartments listed above are pricey (4000 euros+) at a daily rate, but I've negotiated monthly rates that are in my budget for them. Mnay owners will slash prices to have a guaranteed tenant for a month - less wear and tear, less time spent trying to line up daily renters, etc.

I've also been sorting through Loquo ads (a great resource), I just need to firm down an area that I like before corresponding with owners for a monthly fee.

Based on your recs, I'm going to look at Gracia as my first choice. I'll post when I find anything. Thanks again - C