Bancotel checks

Jan 17th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Bancotel checks

For people who have ordered the Bancotel checks, can anyone tell me how long it took them from the time they ordered them to when they arrived? Also, if anyone has had the experience of wiring money (I have to do so as I have 30 checks to buy), how did that go and how long did it take for the checks to arrive?
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:48 AM

What website did you go to do this?
Jan 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM

We live in the U.S. and bought ours from Petrabax.com and it took awhile to get them, but I ordered months in advance and believe they arrived about 2 months before we left. I paid with a credit card, so don't know about the second part of your question.

I believe if you order them directly from Bancotel, there's a different procedure...do a search under Bancotel and I think the information is there...or maybe someone else can tell you...(Maribel...Olga...?)
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:01 PM

jparis,
We do this a little differently:
We make our reservations on www.bancotel.com and then buy the check booklets at a Spain travel agency then pick the actual checks up at our first hotel. We don't prepruchas and have them sent to us just in case we need to cancel our reservations, and we don't need/want to pay the extra fee for shipping.
Jan 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Maribel:
I am confused by your response. Are you saying that when you arrive in, let's say Madrid (b/c that's where we are arriving), I go to a travel agent, pay for the tickets and then get them at the first hotel? Sorry, but I am a first-timer on this. I thought I would get them early b/c I am the type of person who likes to have everything done ahead of time. I would be worried that I would arrive at the hotel and the tickets wouldn't be there!! You have a good point though. If for any reason the trip is cancelled, I could be out a lot of money as I am buying 30 coupons and they will expire at the end of March. Would you mind giving me a bit further explanation?

By the way, for cruiseluv, the website it was www.bancotel.com.
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

ttt for Maribel please
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Like other people here, I made the Bancotel resevations online at their webiste, but I didn't want to actually buy the tickets in advance due to the as I wanted to be able to change my plans if necessary.
When I did purchase them a few days before my trip, I chose the "pick up at first hotel" option. It made me alittle nervous, but seemed the best option. When I got to my first hotel, they did indeed NOT have the checks for me, but said don't worry, they'd get them before I checked out (2 days later) . I pressed them a little and they ended up getting them (from a nearby travel agent??) later that day. People on the board here have said that in larger, more popular hotels, the checks are uaually available same day without problems.
make sure you print out everything you get from bancotel (individual hotel reservations as well as the purchase receipt that indicates "pickup at first hotel" . That helped a lot in convincing the desk clerk to get the checks for me sooner rather than later...
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM

hi jparis,
Sorry about the delay...
I'll try to explain better my post above.

I do use the bancotel.com site for booking my hotels, simply because it's so easy to do all the bookings on one site and saves phone calls/faxes to the individual hotels. Thus, I let the bancotel site book me and advise the hotels that I will be paying the bill with their coupons. But I wait until I am in Spain to purchase the coupons. I go to the first travel agency I see (there's a Viajes El Corte Inglés counter upstairs in the Intl. terminal of Barajas) to purchase the coupons. If they don't have the actual coupons (cova says that most agencies just don't carry many any more, as most of the major hotels in the Bancotel program keep them on reserve), I pay for them and receive a voucher from the travel agent. Then at my first hotel, I turn in my voucher and receive the booklet(s) I need.

I don't like to pre-purchase because I am then stuck with coupons if my travel plans change, and since I'm Spanish speaking, it isn't any trouble for me just to pop into a travel agency to purchase them. But I have the luxury of time to do this, as I travel very frequently in the country. Most travel agencies in Madrid and all over Spain sell the Bancotel vouchers, including the travel agencies found within all branches of Spain's department store, El Corte Inglés.
El Corte Inglés used to have its own voucher/coupon program but abandoned it and switched to Bancotel because of its popularity and wide use. The Halcón Viajes travel agencies have their own program, though.

However, I fully understand that for non-Spanish speakers and for first time visitors, there's a greater sense of security and less hassle with purchasing them on the bancotel site or through Petrabax and having them delivered to one's door step.
That way one doesn't need to worry about finding a travel agency-one can just proceed directly to the hotel with checks in hand. Little to go wrong that way.

I see on the bancotel site that since you need to purchase more than 5 checkbooks, you must use their "callback" system, which I've never used-just don't know how that works. Is that the reason you must do a wire transfer rather than a credit card purchase? I have purchased 6 booklets at a time but at a Spanish travel agency.
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel and welcome back!
thanks so much for your kind repsonse.
The rule for Bancotel is that for 6 books or more, you must wire them the money (maybe they don't want to take the risk of credit card fraud for bigger amounts of money). The rule is iron-clad as I contacted them directly.
What was helpful is learning that I can get tickets from Petrabax via credit card. I just wrote them to see how long it will take to get the coupons, and if they can get it to me in time, I think this would be a lot better.
Again, thanks for your thoughtful and helpful comments. I think everyone on this message board really appreciates all the time and effort you put into your responses and I am sure you have helped to make a huge difference in many people's trips. I know you have for me, and I haven't even left yet!!
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks jparis for your kind words.

Since artlover first mention that Petrabax sells the Bancotel coupons, we have had dealings with them on other matters (a gastronomic tour of the Basque Country and other bookings) and have been pleased with their service. We trust them. We deal with Wes Johnston and Luis, who is the president of Petrabax US West.

Good luck puttint together your travel plans to wonderful Spain!
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM

I recently came back from a trip to Spain and have 1 extra bancotel voucher that I would like to dispose of. It is valid until March 20, 2005. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested. It costs 50 euros It helps you live in 3-5 stars hotels (double room)in Europe and not only (check on www.bancotel.com)
Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------