Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Balmedie, Scotland: Trump & Cronies Play Hardball...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in getting one recalcitrant landowner, local fisherman/quarry worker, feitsy Michael Forbes, to sell to Trump his 23-acre property that sits smack in the middle of Trump's grandiose plans to develop a world-class golf resort for which Trump has already amassed 1,400 acres on the North Sea a few miles north of Aberdeen.

Trump plans two fancy golf courses, a 450-bed hotel, 950 vacation homes, 500 single-family houses, a conference center and a golf academy.

All this even though the area is known to be prone to the 'notorious har', a thick fog that rolls in on little cat feet from the sea and can sit around for days. Trump, whose Mum grew up on the Scottish Isle of Lewis, is also renovating a 14th century local mansion to live it, has been especially vocal in his attacks on locals who oppose him.

Plus environmentalists are up in arms and the usual NIMBY club is active

VS one of Europe's most economically stressed areas where any jobs would be welcome, etc.

In fact the article highlights how local and Scottish national officials have used downright dirty tactics - smeering locals who opposed it, etc. to push the project thru - Mr. Forbes 23 acres or not.

It just seems redolent of some Burt Lancaster film that i believe was shot in this area a few decades ago.

I guess my jury is still out on this project and am leaning towards the many people this huge project would benefit - locals i mean and not that A-hole Daniel Trump.

Balmedie Journal - Debate on Trump Project Takes the Low Road ...
May 5, 2009 ... Opponents of a $1.5 billion development are learning that in hard times, few people are sympathetic to environmental concerns.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/wo...5scotland.html

Balmedie Journal - Debate on Trump Project Takes the Low Road ...
May 5, 2009 ... Bruised by a fruitless effort to block plans, opponents of a $1.5 billion development are learning that in these hard times, few people are ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/wo...html?ref=world
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Trumps tactic is to borrow heavily. Next thing the Scottish government will bail him out lest the banks that loaned him the money go under and drag down the economy.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM

>>'notorious har'<<

I thought at first that was a typo in an alternative way of describing The Donald.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Dear, God, Pal; I normally let your ramblings wash over me, but this is such s***e!.

I live about 6 miles from the site, and was from 1988 until 1994 the councillor (councilman) for the area in question. Some of the combatants are amongst my best friends, and this is not a cutesy place that makes a good, funny story.

To my knowledge (and I DO know) Michael Forbes is not being hounded. Trump has got his planning consent. It's called haar, not har. Menie is an 18th century house, not a 14th century one.Part of the golf course is on a National Nature Reserve, the second highest level of protection that can be accorded to environmentally sensitive ground and more on an SSSI, the third highest. Unemployment in Aberdenshire is at 1%. Aberdeenshire is the 7th least deprived Local Authority Area in Scotland, and has the highest quality of life index in Scotland. There is no newspaper called the Balmedie Journal (or anything like it). But why let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

On the first of the two linked stories, in case you missed the small print, the first photo was taken on lewis which is about as far as one can get from here, culturally as well as geographically, and still be in Scotland. He dropped by for the photocall and left. That was it. It was pilloried in the Scottish press. I have NO idea where they get the idea that "residents" are opposed. Local business leaders are opposed, but the local paper (which has backed this to the hilt from word one) had to stop its online poll because- by a factor of 70-39- it wasn't getting the results it wanted.

It is generally believed that, IF he builds it, it'll go bust. And we'll be left with houses we don't want and can't afford, and a ruined ecosystem.

When it all started, I was simply relived I would not have to vote- tough call and all that. Now, I have no doubts whatsoever where my vote would go.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

sheila - thanks for the inside scoop

I really detest Trump so am not cheering for him - just what i thought may benefit most locals the most.

tough issue to decide i agree.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM

And I'm sorry. That was harsh on my part.