Search

Bakery in Oia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bakery in Oia

My accomodation (Aspaki Suites) doesn't include breakfast, so we're on our own. Can anyone recommend a bakery, for this carb lover, that has excellent bread?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM

When you leave Aspaki's front gate and return to the main pathway the closest bakery for pastries is to the left about 25 meters. It's called Melenio. There's another one for breads in the bus square, which is about 100 meters from Aspaki. For me the best bakery in the morning for warm breads, apple and spinach pies is to the right about 500 meters, across from the Delfini Hotel, a little bakery/minimarket combo.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the response. It looks like I'll be walking the 500 metres every morning....I'd walk a lot further for fresh bread!
Seeing as this is a bakery/grocery store can you tell me about buying greek yogurt. Is it like here in North America where there are tons of different brands and flavors? What do you look for when buying greek yogurt?
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM

There are a few brands sold, Fage Total is the one that comes to mind right at the moment and I think it's probably the most popular. What do I look for? A spoon!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:15 AM

I get my yoghurt fix at cafes, where they add a little honey, then pile fresh, sliced fruit on top. That, along with toasted bread and coffee, comprises my ideal Greek breakfast. I prefer having breakfast at an outdoor cafe rather than in the hotel. You can sit watching the town wake up, with shopkeepers putting out their wares, and people walking by - much better than a stuffy hotel dining room.

I've never noticed flavored yoghurt in the supermarket, but perhaps that was because I wasn't looking for it. Buy some Fage, a jar of Greek honey, and bread from the bakery, and you can have breakfast in your room for a lot less than I pay in the cafe.