Baggage Issues: Easyjet vs. Alitalia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read many warnings about EasyJet's baggage weight restrictions -- am inclined to pay the extra money for an Alitalia flight (from Milan to Naples) to avoid the issue. But I can't tell from Alitalia's wesbite if they are much more flexible -- indeed, it seem as if they have the same 20kg limit for checked-in baggage? Can anyone confirm? Are there any intra-Italy airlines that do not have this restriction?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM

You can buy a business-class ticket and get more luggage allowance, but 20 kg is pretty standard.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM

You have more than 44 lbs of luggage?!?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Cut and pasted from AZ's website:

Re checked bags:
Here are the registered baggage allowances for Alitalia flights:

Flights
__________________________________________________ __________

DOMESTIC

20 kg max
__________________________________________________ __________

INTERNATIONAL/INTERCONTINENTAL (weight concept)

FIRST/MAGNIFICA CLASS: 30 kg max
ECONOMY CLASS: 20 kg max

Re Excess baggage:
Excess baggage charges have to be paid to Alitalia at the ticket desks according to the rates* listed below.

Excess baggage on domestic flights in Italy is € 5 for each kilo over the 20 Kgs. allowed.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much for the quick replies. To Zerlina, we are traveling for 2 weeks on our honeymoon -- both of us are small in stature and just planning to pack a week's worth of stuff (with a laundry day halfway through), but I have no true concept of what one piece of baggage (which is of a size that it can be carried on U.S. flights) would weigh fully packed. Is 44 pounds a generous allowance, or one that can easily go over once clothes, shoes, tolietries, etc. are packed in?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I think 44 pounds is generous, but others think it inadequate. Do your packing, step on the scale with and without your suitcase, and see how you make out.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I can't imagine a carry-on size suitcase weighing more than 44 lbs!

At the risk of being flamed for being an overpacker, I travel with a 25-inch suitcase - fully packed, with many books - and I don't think it's ever come in over 15 kgs.

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM

I don't know about you, but I don't know if I could lift a 44lb bag over my head and into an overhead bin. But the poster is asking about CHECKED bags.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM

The OP did describe the suitcase as follows:

>>one piece of baggage (which is of a size that it can be carried on U.S. flights)<<

That seems like a carry-on to me, even if s/he checks it...
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Zerlina/Freeman, both very useful input -- my instinct as well is that I have never packed the suitcase to the extent where it was unreasonable to lift it up over my head and store it in an overhead bin (it's a rolling suitcase but again, of a size that permits it to be carried on). I am going to try Will's suggestion of doing a test pack and see what the weight comes in at.

One other EasyJet question, while I have your attention -- when their purchase website says you are allowed to have 2 hold bags on for free, does that count your purse/backpack, or exclude it? In other words, if I have a backpack and a suitcase, do I need to pay the extra 7.50 Euros to check-in the suitcase? Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Unless the agents are blind, you can't take 44lbs on board in a carry on:

From AZ web page referring to hand luggage.
Hand luggage

You are allowed to carry only one piece of hand luggage onboard which must not exceed the following dimensions (including handles, side pockets and wheels):
Weight: 5 kgs.
Length: 55 cm
Height: 25 cm
Depth: 35 cm

SO yes, said carry on would not be 44lbs.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM

dtk, I have never flown on Easy Jet, however, I do know that Easyjet has recently changed their baggage policies. Here is a link from their website:
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

"Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage (each bag charged at £2) to a maximum combined weight of 20kg"

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, dtk,

just in case this applies, please remember that if you are flying out of the UK, you are only allowed one piece of handbaggage - and this includes a lady's handbag. other european countries may follow, but don't appear to have done so yet, to judge by our recent transits through Amsterdam.

it does apply if you are only transitting through LGW or LHR. [a good reason not to, IMO]

regards, ann
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Easyjet don't have a weight limit on hand luggage only a size limit for as single bag BUT their size limit - like virtually all low costs airlines is 55x40x20cm NOT the ionternational 56x45x25cm

Their excess baggage charges for checked luggage are designed to be punative but as we don't know when you are travelling no-one can say that the overall cost on one airline is going to be less than on another

If you really want to carry vast weights about Italy why don't you get the train
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM

<<< it does apply if you are only transitting through LGW or LHR. >>>

The one bag rule applies to ALL UK airports
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, alanrow,

the point I was making, was that the one piece of hand-luggage rule applied even if one were only transitting though LGW or LHR, not that it only applied then as i think the rest of my post explained.

a bigger problem is the pile-up of luggage at fiumicino, where baggage handlers are apparently sabotaging the antiquated equipment, leading to heaps of unsorted bags all over the airport.

a ggod reason to use easyjet, which flies into ciampino.

regards, ann
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 05:33 PM

dtk, if there is a AAA office near you, they have a small hand held hook with a scale for $9. Membership is not necessary to buy.

Julie
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Or save the $9 by stepping on your bathroom scale with and without the packed luggage. Subtract one from the other to get the weight of the baggage.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Bathrrom scales can be very inaccurate - as folk who get excess baggage charges despite checking their baggage weight that way can testify
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM

Huh? Then they need a decent bathroom scales. Are you suggesting it may be off by several pounds? If so, it isn't a good scales. Pure and simple.
I've been doing that for years, and always surprise the check-in attendant by placing the bag on their scales and saying "it will be 32 pounds" or whatever, and it is always right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -