Backpacks in London

May 26th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Candace

Backpacks in London

Is it appropriate to wear a day pack in London? Does it scream tourist too loud and are there any problems carrying them in museums?

May 26th, 2000, 11:31 PM
Mark

Hi Candace ...

Really depends how big it is ... sounds like it's not big, so shouldn't be a problem ... I never heard of you not be allowed to take rucsacks into museums, so you should be ok there ... just don't break anything !!!!!!

As to being seen as a tourist, well I wouldn't worry about that much ... you'll blend into the crowd ... because anyone coming to London for the day could have a rucsack.

Mark

May 27th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Lee

Candace,
You shouldn't have a problem and will fit right in. However, you are not allowed to wear a back pack into Harrod's Department store. I'm not sure about museums.
Have fun.
Lee

May 28th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Joan

I have the same question about sneakers. Someone told me that sneakers scream American. Is that true?

May 28th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Brent

I don't see how I could have gotten by without a backpack. I wasn't asked to remove mine anywhere-not even in Harrod's or any museum. I think it's appropriate to wear one and I think you'll see them almost everywhere in London.

May 28th, 2000, 07:04 PM
Candace

Thanks for the responses! I don't know why I was worried about being branded a tourist since that is what I will thankfully be.

May 29th, 2000, 01:04 AM
J.M.

By all means, carry a backpack/daypack!

It's the best way to make sure your camera/water/snacks are available when you need them, so that your hands are free the rest of the time. Also, a backpack is great for carrying all those pamphlets and booklets you will be getting at all the tourist stops, like the Tower of London, etc.

In addition, you might want to carry a pair of shoes in the backpack that are not sneakers, because a few restaurants and other establishments won't let you in with tennis shoes/sneakers.

May 29th, 2000, 04:34 PM
dru

Candace, by all means wear a backpack. I just got back from London & seems like everyone had one on (locals, tourists, old & young). I wore mine everwhere. Never had a problem in any museum & at Harrods they just ask you to carry it by hand vs on your back. But learn from my mistake, it is very easy to pack too much stuff & then you are stuck with a heavy load (on a hot day this will add to your misery- take my word for it). Have a great time!

Jun 1st, 2000, 09:40 AM
Estelle

I don't think you should go without one,
I carried water, maps, food, extra shirt, travel book, umbrella, etc. etc.
Whenever I bought guidebooks those went in as well. My backpack is black and
doesn't look like one, it's ergonomically (sp?) correct, hangs on
one shoulder and more comfortable than
a regular backpack, it was worth the
$75. I paid for it, weather proof too.
I just came back from London a few
weeks ago and EVERYBODY has backpacks
and also alot of people wear sneakers,
I myself wore sneakers and jeans way
more than I usually do in London, usually I wear black everything, word
of caution though, DON'T PUT MONEY
OR CREDIT CARDS IN YOUR BACKPACK!!!
Someone I met over there the last time
her friend had 100 pounds stolen out
of her backpack on the tube.

Have fun!!!

Jun 1st, 2000, 09:59 AM
elvira

At Buckingham Palace, we were asked to check our packs and totes (what, they think we'll take the dinner service for 800?); at another palace (I think Kensington), we were asked to take them off and carry them; ditto Harrod's.
The one big difference between locals and American tourists was in crowded spaces; Europeans are used to smaller personal space, and seem to be better able to negotiate backpacks without whacking others; Americans aren't so good at this (we just need practice, honest, we'll get good at it too). Just be aware of others around you when you decide to back up or turn around in the subway....