Reload this Page >

Backpacking in Ireland

Search

Backpacking in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Nick

Backpacking in Ireland

Does anyone have tips, advice for two male college students going off to Ireland for approx. 6 weeks this summer? We have already purchased our airline tickets. We are not renting a car, but travelling via bus or train, however, would it be ok to hitchhike also? Anyone who has done a similar trip, we would love to hear from you.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nick

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Bill

I haven't done it before, but have you thought about biking. I know people who have and enjoyed it. If you do, get some good rain gear. <BR><BR>Bill

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:58 AM
me

have you read "round ireland with a fridge"? you might enjoy it, the author hitches around ireland.<BR><BR>me

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Ann

I've hitched in Ireland. With two guys hitching you should be fine. However, I wouldn't do it around Dublin. If you would hit trouble, that's where you would hit it.<BR><BR>We did go for many stretches, though, without rides (just not that many cars on some roads), so be prepared for some hiking.<BR><BR>As long as you don't have a schedule to stick to, and just want to roam around aimlessly, train, bus and hitching will suit you fine.<BR><BR>There are a lot of good youth hostels in Ireland, so make sure you have your IYH card.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Nick

Thank you for your help and suggestions.<BR>Ann, someone had mentioned to get the International Student Card - is that the same as IYH?<BR><BR>Nick

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Ann

I believe they are two separate things. The International Youth Hostel card gets you a better rate at member hostels. You can still stay at the hostels without the card, but pay a higher rate.<BR><BR>The International Student Card gets you discounts on other things--train tickets, tours, etc.<BR><BR>They're both useful to have.