Reload this Page >

backpacking europe

Search

backpacking europe

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Amy Jo

backpacking europe

I am looking for a book or guide of some sort that focuses on backpacking in several countries of europe. Something that will be useful when only staying about 2 days in each country. everything i find is either too specific to one country, or is more concentrated for someone spending a significant amount of time in one place.

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:12 AM
LJ

Two thoughts as I have spent the better part of the past two months, enviously watching my daughter and a friend prepare to backpack Italy and France: they thought that the Lonely Planet Website was very useful for information, both general and then as reservation time approached, more specific. Lonely Planet have the written guides,too,of course. But all are for particular countries. The Rough Guides are more general and I saw one or two of those kicking around as the girls prepared. But I would just caution that there seems to be a flaw in your original question. Its hard to imagine "backpacking" and "only staying about 2 days in each country" as a logical possibility...perhaps I misunderstood? Our girls are backpacking in 2 countries and staying 6 weeks.

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Rosenatti

Another good option is "Let's Go Europe" -- that's the one I used when I did my backpacking tour. I do think that two days per country is... uh... kinda hectic, though. Why not just give yourself the option of staying where you like for as long as you like, rather than trying to pack so much in? On a backpacking budget and a little shopping around for airfares, you can always return.

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:28 AM
meagan

Lonely Planet does have a general guide for all of Europe. It covers 40 countries and is great. After many hours of deliberation it is the one I chose. It's called "Europe on a Shoestring" - make sure you get the most recent edition.

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Russ

All you need is a Tomas Cook timetable and a list of McDonalds restaurants inside train stations. You'll be on a train or in a station most of the time if you only plan on spending 48 hours in each country. Sleep overnight on the train and maybe you'll have time to see something during daylight hours.