Search

Backpack or Rolling Suitcase in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack or Rolling Suitcase in Europe?

Hello,

I will be visiting Paris (moving once within), and then travelling around Switzerland for about a week (I may make about 3 stops). What do you think, should I backpack it or use a rolling suitcase? In my forays into southern Europe it was my impression that in many towns it would be difficult to "roll" due to cobblestones. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Definitely depends, in Switzerland, which towns you visit and how you are traveling. By rail?..then it may depend on how far from the station your accommodation is.

In Paris, if using the Metro, there can be a problem, at some stations, with stairwells vs. the presence of escalators/lifts.

More detailed info about your itinerary might be helpful.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Hi Robin,
Why not use a backpack with rolling wheels built-in. Then you have the option to carry or roll as you desire. Samsonite has some nice ones to choose from in their outlet stores for under $50.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Also important is your age and fitness level. We had 21" suitcase/backpack combos. During our trip to Italy, I was glad to have a backpack (very free-ing), but my father(50 something) wished he had a roller.
I had a 22" roller when I was in London and desperately wished for a backpack to get up and down the stairs in the tube, but I might have been tired carrying my stuff around - the london tube requires a lot of walking to change trains, etc.

Bottomline,
Intrepid's right - location matters. Fitness also matters.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Yes, I will be travelling by rail. I'm not 100% sure about where I'm going in Switzerland. Right now I'm tentatively looking at Lausanne/Moreaux (sp.?), then Interlaken area, Lucerne, and ending in Zurich. I don't have accommodations set yet (I know, I have to get going on this - my trip is in June!!). I hope this helps w/ answers!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM

My college age daughter and her now husband spent 3 weeks backpacking around Europe 5 years ago. their first request when they came home was for the convertible rolling/backpack suitcases. So, despite their ages they were sick of carrying them around. We have some Eagle Creek convertible backpack rolling suitcases with detachable day packs. We love them even though the intial investment was pricey. Check the Sierra Trading Post website sometimes they have them.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Ditto to JulieS's comment. The Eagle Creek combo works well, but is pricey. We got a greatdeal though by negotiating w/ the store owner for last year's model instead of the new one for '05. I have one from '03 and the '04 is just like it. We saved about $140 over the price of the latest one. But, the daypack adds great versatility to it...
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM

The Eagle Creek luggage is wonderful! Well worth the investment. I like the idea of having wheels if you need them, but otherwise convertable. You are right in thinking that the cobblestones (and Metro) is murder on them.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM

IMO, the convertible bags have so much added weight that it becomes very inconvenient to carry for any length of time. I would prefer a roller bag with good wheels or a backpack with no wheels. To each his/her own <shrug>
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been five times to that part of Switzerland (Vevey, Montreux) and prefer a 22" rolling suitcase. It is the easiest in airports, train stations, and on trains IMO. Cobblestones are rare, and anyway the wheels just bump on along.

I hate backpacks because they are unwieldy and knock into the people behind you. Overall they appear much harder to handle (I will never use one). I have a secondary belief that you get treated better in hotels with normal luggage. If you're staying in hostels, then being a "backpacker" is OK.

I do not like a convertable piece (backpack with wheels OR suitcase that becomes backpack). The frame, wheels, handle all add weight and bulk to a suitcase... as do straps to turn a suitcase into a backpack.

My second preference instead of a rolling suitcase is a medium sized duffel bag with a shoulder strap.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM

I'm with Suze. My husband and I always take daypacks and carry-on roller bags to Europe and have had no problems. We spent a few days with some friends who were also traveling on a trip to Germany a few years ago, except they were using big packbacks. They were quite jealous of us. Two other advantages to the smaller bags is that we didn't have to check any luggage and were able to access things in our luggage without digging through a huge backpack. Just my two cents.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM

I love backpacks. They allow me to walk around with my hands completely free. Screw the people behind me.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Lausanne and Montreux, Interlaken, Lucerne, and Zurich would pose few problems re cobblestones although there are areas in Lucerne where you'll find them.

I have an Eagle Creek convertible bag which I have yet to use as a backpack..I've always used the wheels. Trust me, when you have that baby FULLY loaded using it as a backpack can be somewhat of a chore and I am very fit.

Given what you've said I'd be inclined to go with wheels but if you are in the market for a convertible, I strongly suggest you check out the prices at both www.1800luggage.com and www.ebags.com.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:44 PM

i've tried a roller and backpack/roller combo. i can say that the roller alone is just fine as i'd never use the backpack part again. and that is w/ training/metroing/flying involved. i can handle a little carrying as a flight of stairs is not that arduous. and then you're back to rolling. but as said, to each their own.

if you go backpack, go deuter as they sell packs that don't make your back as sweaty...you'll be happy about that.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:03 PM

I went through this dilemma lst year and was persuaded to go with the backpack.

Suffice to say that after two days I bought a small roller case, a cheapie, to supplement the backpack and wished I had had just the rolling case. As it was, I probably had the worst of both worlds! However in the end it actually worked quite well for me having the weight distributed between two items, especially when it came to heaving it onto the trains etc.

I hated inconveniencing the people around me with my backpack and getting it on and off and stowed. I hated the poor balance I felt and the heat generated. And I felt I looked ridiculous (I'm a woman in early 50s)

The only time the rolling suitcase was a handicap was when I had to plough through the snow to reach my hotel in Switzerland. Because the case was only 20" it was easy enough to pick up when confronted with stairs.

So for me, backpack = never again

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I have been dithering with myself over this same issue. I am already taking a 22" very lightweight roller bag (will check this bag) so the issue was a backpack or a roller backpack for a carry-on. I've made up my mind - the roller backpack. If need be while taking a few trains I'll put it on my back. I stow this roller backpack under the seat in front on the plane and use it for a foot stool - very nice to elevate your legs. Plus I don't want to carry a plain backpack around the airport with all the time one spends there.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:44 PM

if you want a carry one, still try a deuter brand backpack. the suspension is so good that you hardly feel the weight on your back. it's german made and genius. it's really popular in europe. rei sells them here in the states.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM

I have a rolling duffle bag that I simply adore. I find it much easier to drag up the stairs than a regular suitcase.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:58 PM

On our last trip to Europe, which included Switzerland we were split 50/50...2 backpacks with rollers, and 2 roller suitcases. By the way, we were two adults and two 10 year old kids. We never used the back packs, even on the ferry from bari to dubrovnik...the rollers worked great everywhere we went...we did travel light though...so the bags weren't too heavy.

However...on Greek ferries it is nice to have a back pack or a shoulder strap to shlepp those bags up the somewhat steep stairs.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM

My kids insist backpacks are easier. I find a rolling suitcase easier. Why not try each for few hours near your home, going up and down stairs and walking for several blocks, and see which feels more comfortable for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -