Backpack or Roller Bag?

Search

Backpack or Roller Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpack or Roller Bag?

My husband and I are going to Italy (Rome, Cinque Terre and Florence) for 2 weeks in April. He's been, I never have. We're each planning on bringing only one bag. My question is, would it be easier to carry a (big)backpack around all those locations or just use my rolling suitcase? He says backpack, one of my friends says this was torture. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Ive' done it both ways and I now stay with the rolling bag. The exception might be if you know you're going to have to contend with a LOT of steps, ie more that 3 flights of steps at a time AND moving every day or every other day.

Eagle Creek has some bags that convert from backpack to roller and vice-versa. My wife uses an Eagle Creek convertible that we have used as a backpack only once or twice in 8 trips to Italy. I took it to Finland on a trip in 2002 and used it as a backpack only once ( to get to a lake side cabin that didn't have any walkways.)

Even though you have to bump bump bump over the coble stones with a wheeled bag, I think it better because you don't tire yourself out as quickly with a rolling bag.

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's more replies on your other thread too.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Backpack no question. I cannot fathom even using a rolling suitcase on uneven walkways or carrying it up lots of steps. You can get very good ergonomic backpacks nowadays. We have abandoned everything else and have never regretted it! Our backpacks are small enough to use as carry-ons on airplanes, but then again we are very light packers!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM

In Liguria, I use a carry-on sized rolling duffel-type bag with a good square pull handle, not just a stick or a string. After a while, you quit feeling embarassed sounding like the Hunchback of Notre Dame as you thunk the thing up and down steps, and you learn the way to keeping it upright as you clatter acroos the cobblestones and broken pavement.

However, it might be the case that your backpacking husband will bound up train station steps and get ahead of you on crowded streets. It will scarcely matter, unless he is the kind to say: "See? I told you so." In that case, it might be less of a pain if you donned a backpack.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM

If he is willing to carry the backpack, let him! I bet the next time he will be only too glad to go along with a roller bag...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM

On the other hand, he can easily let you carry the roller; depending on what you have to drag it over, you may be more than glad to lug it on your back next time.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM

grsing,

You are probably right too! (LOL).
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM

We're both right! Really just depends on the situation, and the people dragging the stuff around.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:04 PM

The trick to loving your rolling suitcase is it must be packed light enough that you can easily pick it up and carry it like a normal old fashioned suitcase for short distances.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM

suze: very true; lugging a rolling suitcase you can't really carry up steps is one of my more unpleasant memories.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I don't care what the bag is... sometimes you've got to hoist it and RUN (think train leaving station) -LOL!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Absolutely; anyone who is carrying a bag they can't sprint with for at least 100 yards is just asking for trouble (if you need a stiff drink after the 100 yards, that's fine).
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM

if you plan to do any walking around with your baggage then a rucksack/backpack is the only way to go. with a roller, it is not practical to go into most shops and they are a pain in crowds or uneven surfaces. and you don't want one if you are navigating metro steps constantly. on a crowded train the rucksack has a slight disadvantage. forget the combos, they do neither right.

many here will disparage the rucksack but today they are very well made and if you get a dark one, it will look like real luggage suitable for cities rather than just for the mountains.

it also depends on your style of travel. will you have to ever walk around for, say, a few hours before you get a train? if you are going to one location and taking a taxi, then there really isn't much difference what you take.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Get the backpacks with rollers--just got a nice one from Samsonite that works both ways! We went to Europe 2 years ago and took backpacks--and wish we had the rollers!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Other considerations besides the terrain:age of the parties in question, back strength (history of back problems?), size of the pack or roller (those huge round-the world packs may suit brawny college students but definitely would not work for a petite woman, style of accommodations (hostel vs small, "Romantik" type hotel vs the Ritz Carlton). We've done both and tend more toward the roller types as the types involve more urban settings and older travelers...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:17 PM

By the way, if you take a backpack and don't like or it hurts your back, you can easily by one of those hand trolleys and a couple of bungee cords in an Italian train station.