Reload this Page >

backpack or luggage with wheels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Linda

I hope some of you veteran travellers can help. Hubby and I are going on our first European trip for 2 weeks, through numerous cities via train. We are in our early 30s and pretty healthy. Should we carry backpacks or is a rollaround (is that what they're called? luggage with wheels) better? With our somewhat hectic itinerary, we'll have to hoist and lug around our things every couple of days. I am rather petite, so I can't carry a lot, at least not for extended periods of time. <BR> <BR>And will a 26" bag, for example, fit in lockers or storage areas at train stations, etc? Thanks so much. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Rex

I have never used a backpack. I suppose if my itinerary involved walking between two destinations on unpaved roads, it might be advantageous. Otherwise, a rollABOARD is a staple for travel to Europe, in my opinion. <BR> <BR>Some rules to live by: <BR> <BR>Two pieces are always better than one. <BR> <BR>The largest piece you take should not exceed 22 inches, and should not weigh more than eight POUNDS when empty. <BR> <BR>The second piece can be nearly as big as the first, if you wish, and it should not weigh more than eight OUNCES when empty (translation: small-to-medium size nylon duffel bag). <BR> <BR>First important test: lift your PACKED bag (the larger of the two) ABOVE your head, and walk as briskly as you can (better yet, run) up AND down one flight of stairs, without touching wall, handrail or steps with either hand. Can't do it? This bag is packed too heavy. <BR> <BR>Second important test: Carry BOTH of your PACKED bags, simultaneously (any way you want - - doesnt have to be above your head) up AND down (preferably run) one flight of stairs. Okay if you need to brush against the wall or handrail, or if luggage brushes against the steps. But if you can't do this at all, then the two bags together are too heavy. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Linda

Dear Rex, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the very sound advice. I suppose I was still clinging to the college-student-like notion of backpacking through Europe. Now all my neighbours will be wondering why I'm running up and down the stairs with luggage over my head! I take it that we will be no different from others, and will find ourselves running to catch our train. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 09:27 PM
joan

Yes, use the roll around type. Make sure it had a good handle on the side for lifting as you go up and down stairs at some of the train stations. Let the wheels do the work when you're going from one place to another. You'll be glad you did. I put my smaller duffel on top of my roll about, strapped on, gives me more useful space. When I leave home, the duffel is empty and folded up inside my roll around. Then as I need more space, I bring out my duffle, put my clothes in there and my breakable purchases in the sturdy rolling case.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Lana

THere's luggage with wheels which can also be a backpack - all in one. I've seen them in Canada for about $250 -$300 CAD. I wanted one for myself. One brand is called "Hummer" if I'm not mistaken but check with travel stores and any other stores that specialize in luggage. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 11:35 PM
lcuy

We used the backpacks with wheels on a trip to Japan last summer. they were wonderful! <BR>We wore them when going up and down stairs (train stations, temples) and when on cobblestone or dirt roads. When we had smooth pavement or in big concourses, we rolled them along. The only thing was that ours were on the small side. I have since seen bigger ones and will probably get those next time. Ours were very nice looking though...didn't look like "packs", unless you strapped stuff on the outside.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Kelli

Linda- <BR> <BR>My husband and I (in our late twenties doing a 3 week European trip), just bought 2 Swiss Army Travel Gear bags. They are deluxe backpacks that turn into rolling luggage (or vice versa). The selling point for us was we could use them as backpacks during our train travel, but convert them into rolling luggage when we walk into the Vienna Imperial. Also, they look like normal rolling luggage, not standard backbacks, so we won't hesitate to use the bags on an ongoing basis in our travels (not just when we want backpacks in Europe). They are incredibly light weight, made very well, and comfortable to pull or to have on your back. My husband got the 24 inch and I got the 22 inch. They were more expensive than other bags we looked at, but well worth it as they are so well constructed and versatile. We bought them at Bentley's Luggage. Hope this helps!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:45 AM
janice

Dear Linda, <BR>You don't have to choose between the two - I have an Eagle Creek rolling backpack which is WONDERFUL. 90% of the time you can roll it, but every now and then it's very handy to be able to sling it onto your back and walk. (through ankle deep water in Venice, for example) Take a look around at the variety of these bags available - they are great.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:24 AM
notquiteabackpacker

Hi, this is all great advice. I'm planning to almost backpack through Europe and it almost seems harder now that I'm a 36 year old adult because I'm also trying to be practical. For example, I know I COULD throw a change of clothes in a bag and survive just fine for a month, and in some ways that bare-bones backpacking idea is really appealing. But in reality, I know me. I will find all kinds of cool stuff that I will want to buy and bring home, which throws a wrench in the bare-bones fantasy! How did any of you deal with that aspect? Mail? And how hard is that? Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:30 AM
lisa

I second Janice's advice. I have an Eagle Creek 22-inch bag with wheels that converts to a backpack and also has a zip-off daypack. It was expensive but I absolutely love it and take it everywhere. I never take anything bigger than that no matter how long I'm going for. I have taken it to Mexico, Costa Rica, Paris, Hawaii... I would recommend not taking anything bigger. Hoisting and lugging a 26-incher is no fun.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Carol

Linda, <BR>I personally think spending the extra money for the rolling backpack is not worth it. I tried one at the luggage stop and found that it weighed more than I wanted to carry on my back. Plus if you are short the pack is not really comfortable. Unlike regular packs the frames cannot be bent to fit your back.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:00 AM
DJ

Linda, <BR> <BR>Like Kelli & her husband, we too purchased Swiss Army rolling backpacks. The selling point for me was actually trying on the various backpacks and weighting them down a bit. There was a dramatic comfort difference with the Swiss Army pack. The padded hip belt and curved spinal brace made all the difference vs. the Eagle Creek. However, the price differential is significant (ie. $350 vs $200). When choosing your backpack, try it on and have someone weight it down for you. Note the pressure points and ask yourself if you can comfortably walk a long way with it on your back). <BR> <BR>We purchased the 24" packs and the additional daypacks will be for our souvenirs. Between the 2 or us I'm sure we'll have plenty of space. (I expect to use plastic packing bags as well).

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ida

Linda and Notquiteabackpacker, <BR> <BR>Very good logistical questions. I've also had the "difficulty" of not being a blissful but penniless teenager anymore. It is almost harder being an adult with (some) means and bouncing around through Europe. My husband and I used a 22 inch soft suitcase with wheels with removable day pack as we went through France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Czech. When we bought things (which I can't pass up either) we just dropped into a post office and mailed them back to the U.S. It takes a little time, but it worked out fine and seemed to be a good compomise, which is really what packing for travel is all about, it seems. For walking up train station steps and the few times we couldn't find a place to store our bags, the "backpack" feature worked fine. We had to carry/wheel through a museum in Prague and felt a little funny, but it actually worked fine.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Melissa

My husband and I just returned from 2 1/2 weeks in Italy where we travelled by train extensively. We are in our late 20's and have declared that our next trip will consist of backpacks. Hoisting wheeled luggage up and down trains and thru the narrow passage, and not to mention the stations themselves(many without escalators or elevators), is not fun! And don't forget those cute little b&b's that are in old buildings with many flights of stairs. <BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Caitlin

We have one of the Eagle Creek convertible backpacks with wheels and love it, but I do NOT recommend for a trip with frequent changes of location and lots of schlepping luggage because, as someone pointed out above, the bag itself is on the heavy side. Personally I'd go for either a lightweght rolling bag (preferably with a handle on the side and loops for adding a shoulder strao OR a bag that converts to backpack, so you're not forced to look like a "backpacker" and don't have to worry about the straps being damaged should you need to check it (like on the way home when it's heavy from being crammed with souvenirs).

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Linda

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards getting a rollaround that converts into a backpack, but as Caitlin and Melissa pointed out, there are certainly redeeming qualities to the original backpack. I'll just have to walk into a luggage store armed with all the models mentioned above and try every one. Thanks y'all.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Notquiteabackpacker

Thanks very much to Linda for a great question. The responses have really helped me work out the packing issue in my mind. Having lived and travelled in SE Asia extensively I developed a great system, small carryon wheeled bag and a very small under-the-seat tote. It worked like a dream for airplane hops to Bangkok or a weekend in Singapore, however Europe seems quite different with many on and off train trips and lots of train station steps. Plus, the weather was quite different in SE Asia too, incredibly hot and humid. No jeans, jackets or bulky sweaters necessary! No one ever seems to deal with these sorts of seemingly minescule but practical and important issues in travel books. Thanks again!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Anne

Second that. There are almost too many choices and combinations. Tough to find the perfect blend of space, size and portability.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Elwood

I'm 65 years old and travel 6-8 weeks at a time with a backpack 15-20lbs. You can do it too. And you'll feel better about yourself and your trip. Don't give into age (you are young) so easily. Just keep on moving and you'll still be backpacking at 85. Life should be an adventure to be lived,not a problem to be solved.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Vicki

A few years ago, my son and I traveled to France and Italy for a two-week vacation. I had business on the east coast and so left from Boston and my son left from southern California, where we both live. Since I had traveled to Europe before (and taken trains), I told him to pack light, that we would be taking trains, etc. and that he could go over to my house and pick out some luggage to use. Since I travel a great deal for business, I have tried just about every piece of luggage made - he could take his pick. For myself, I had a 22-in rolling back and a small mylon duffle. <BR> <BR>To my amazement, when we met at the baggage claim in Paris, he had selected two rolling bags, but the biggest ones made. They are so big that they were practically new, since I had a difficult time even hoisting them into the trunk to get to the airport, let alone schlepping them around on and off trains. I found as we traveled that he had clothing for every occasion - he was prepared for a coronation, should one happen, as well as go swimming (3 swimsuits). <BR> <BR>My son still blushes whenever the word luggage is used - getting on and off the trains was a nightmare that neither one of us wants to relive. I remember an Italian train official yelling at me in Italian when I was trying to get all this stuff on the train - the funny part was, that I don't speak Italian at all, but I understood everything he said (which was that the trains in Italy run on time - unlike in America - and they weren't going to wait for me to get all the ridiculous baggage on board). <BR> <BR>I learned a valuable lesson on that trip - and when I took my Mom and Dad to England and Scotland last September, I supervised the packing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -