Search

Back from Paris and Spain

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back from Paris and Spain

Hello all,

It's my first day back from my trip and just wanted to write a quick summary and a HUGE thank you to all who helped in the planning. The trip was wonderful, and wouldn't have been the same without your help.

Day 1--arrive Paris 11:30 am, lunch, wandering the champs elysee, cafe stop, dinner with a friend.
Tips: Stayed at the Hotel Normandy near the Louvre. Highly recommend it, we got a great deal (165) and it was a nice hotel, with both european charm and the niceties of home. I especially like the two double windows which opened onto little juliet balconies--we literally slept under the Paris moon, great start to the trip.

Day 2--breakfast at the hotel and then an Easy Jet trip to Barcelona. Checked into the Hotel Colon, explored Las Ramblas and had a nice dinner out. Immediately fell in love with Barcelona's Gothic Quarter.
Tips: The airline should be renamed "Not-so-easy-jet" It wasn't terrible, but they don't quite have it together yet. What should have been a 2-3 hour trip took closer to 5 hours...for no apparent reason. And if you do use it because of the wonderfully cheap flights, be prepared for the cattle-call at boarding time. People will literally shove you out of the way to get a better spot in line for seat selection.

Day 3--Took the bus tour around Barcelona, then toured La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell and more of the Gothic Quarter. Dinner In Barcelonetta, and a night out on the town
Tips: If in Barcelona, I highly recommend Bus Turistic. We did both lines in one day, and it literally covered the city. It took about 3.5 hours and then we got back onto head to the places we wanted to explore more on foot. Barceonetta's streets seemed a little deserted at night...I'd recommend lunch instead of dinner here, but the seafood was possibly the freshest I've ever tasted.

OK--work is calling, but I'll finish up the rest of the week's report later. Thanks again to all, and please feel free to post questions!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Thanks for posting!! I'm going to be in BCN for one day in early November. The bus trip that you took seems like it would be a great way to see things...thanks. I'm also planning to stay at Hotel Colon (across from the Cathedral). Any suggestions for room choice here?

I've heard that tapas for both lunch and dinner are doable...any suggestions as to where?? and finally - how long did you spend in the Gothic quarter?
Would most of a day be sufficient??

Thanks in advance for your help ! Dave
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Dave,
Hotel Colon was great, the setting is perfect. We had a room on the first floor with a partial view of the Cathedral. It was good, but noisy. Children playing in the square were pretty loud well into the night. If you'r e alight sleeper at all, I'd suggest asking for a high floor and maybe a roomin the back, without the view. The Cathedral is undergoing some construction right now, so you won't be missing much.
For the Gothic Quarter, I'd say you could spend an hour or spend a week--it's just about how much you linger etc. Most of a day will probably be just right to give you the feel of the place.
Also, if you do decide to do the bus tour, there are two different routes, red and blue. We did both for the 3.5 hour total tour of the city and highly recommend it.
Have a wonderful trip, and you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot the tapas.
There are inumerable places to try them, and yes you could do them twice a day easily. One recommendation I have is to stop into a small local place for the "Menu del dia" for lunch. It's generally 6-7 euro for two courses of local specialities. I did this at Can Busto (sp?) in the Born district, just down the street from the Picasso museum, and it was my favorite meal of the trip...well, maybe tied with dinner in Paris, but wonderful!
Happy Travels.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:08 PM

sls15 - Thanks so much for the info....I've only got a very short time, but was hoping to make the best use of it......Your info will no doubt be of help!

Thanks again and Best wishes, Dave
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:02 PM
rex

Author: sls15
Date: 09/15/2003, 04:22 pm
Message: Ok, sorry for the double posts, but here's the second half.

Day 4--Explored the Born district, including a top at the Picasso Museum. Made our way to Gaudi's Casa Mila for a Kandinsky exhibit. Then took the tram and funicular up to Tibidabo. Dinner and drinks back in Las Ramblas district.
Tips: Go to Tibidabo! An Amusement park at the top of a mountain...I hate both amusement parks and heights, and still loved this experience. The view is dizzying.
The Picasso museumis also well worth the trip.

Day 5--Rented a car and drove up the coast through the many beach towns to Aiguablava.
Tips: Driving the coastal route was stressful but absolutley worth it. We drove the highway for half the way and then drove the coast between Tossa and Saint Feliu. The views of the sea and cliffs on this route are unbelieveable. Can't wait to see my pictures.

Day 6--Stayed at Aiguablava most of the day and then drove onto Girona through Pals and Petradella. Stayed at Hotel Penisular, had dinner at Casa Marionetta, and out for a night on the town.
Tips: Aiguablava is quite possibly the most beautiful place on earth. If you are anywhere near there I highly recommend you go. Maribel...thank you so so so much for your recommendation to stay here longer. We never wanted to leave!
In Girona, Hotel Peninsular is in a great location, and incredibly reasonable (56 Euro).

Day 7--Drove to the Dali museum in Figueres, then back to Barcelona through a crazy traffic jam for a stay at the Grand Marina Hotel. Tasting menu in the hotel restaurant and early to bed.
Tips: If you are not a Dali enthusiast, I would recommend skipping this stop. My boyfriend would absolutely disagree however. He loved the museum. I thought it was interesting, but not worth the terrible drive back to Barcelona, where cars were stopped, and turned off, while people milled about on the highway.

Day 8-- Last walk on Las Ramblas and through the Gothic Quarter before another Easy-Jet jaunt to Paris. Shopping in Paris and dinner/drinks with a friend. Stayed at the Intercontinental.
Tips: Thanks to whoeover posted about the shop on Rue Saint Honore with colorful bags in the window...I found it and it was amazing! Brought home two new bags.

Day 9--Last walk along the streets of Paris, lunch with a friend and to the airport home!

Overall a wonderful trip...thanks again to all.

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM

We leave 10/19 only 2 nights in BCN at the Hotel Colon. This may sound silly but I do eat rice. Is Spainish cooking all about rice? I love seafood and will try about anything but not one grain of rice. Any help? We are also heading to Marbella to base out to Ronda, Granada, Gibraltar and Tangiers. Then on to Seville and Madrid. Any observations and or Suggestions?