Reload this Page >

Back from France! (Monica)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 1999, 01:11 PM
Monica

Hi everyone! I came back from Paris yesterday and my Mother and I had a great time! Paris was beautiful and we enjoyed every minute of our trip. <BR> <BR>Some notes: <BR> <BR>1. I got exchange rates ranging from 6.011 to 6.106, averaging about 6.056. Not bad! I used my Nations Bank ATM debit card for almost everything from hotels, to restaurants and shopping. My bank does not charge any conversion fees, so I ended up with great prices. <BR> <BR>2. I stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th arr and it was great. Good location, just a few minute walk to the Odeon metro and near the theatre. Our rooms (beginning of the trip and the end) were very nice. We had a private bathroom and the hotel supplies washcloths! The rooms facing the street are larger than on the back side. Room #30 on the ground level was a good size room. No hair dryers. We paid $83/night. <BR> <BR>We also stayed at Hotel Leveque in the 7th Arr. on rue Cler. Rue Cler is a great street filled with pastry shops, meat shops, fruits and vegetable markets; such a lively place during the day. The hotel was also nice (paid $67/night). Our room came with a private bathroom, twin beds, tv, and hair dryer. We were on the court side so it was pretty quiet at night. I saw one room facing the street and it was also nice. However, I don't know if I'd like to be on the street side when everyone on rue Cler starts to set up their shops and the trucks roll in to bring supplies. <BR> <BR>3. Do get the museum pass. We paid about $53 for 2 passes and did save money and time in the lines. Too bad the museum pass isn't good for ANY 3 days. We had 3 busy days seeing the sights with the pass, including Fontainebleau which was beautiful. <BR> <BR>4. We ate at great restaurants for dinner ranging from $39 to $55 for two including 3 entres, dessert, and wine. One place was $72 and it was fabulous! We enjoyed the Menus which provided several choices to choose from. Some included wine, others didn't. The house wines were pretty inexpensive, though we splurged on our last night ($22 for a bottle). We ate at 5-6 restaurants from the Cheap Eats in Paris Book. I highly recommend this book. <BR> <BR>5. We enjoyed day trips to Fontainebleau, Dijon, and Reims. We also stayed in Bayeux for 3 nights where we rented a car for 2 days to visit Mont St Michel and the D-Day Beaches the following day. Great places to visit. <BR> <BR>6. The trains were on strike when we arrived, but ended the day we needed to catch the train to Fontainebleau (the 7th). <BR> <BR>7. We took the RER B to the St Michel stop from the airport. It cost $16.50 for the two of us and took about 35 minutes. We did take the shuttle bus to get to the RER, BUT there is a RER stop at the airport CDG #2: after getting out of customs, turn right where you'll see the exit doors numbered. Head to #9 where you'll see a sign for both the RER and the Sheraton hotel. The RER is below the hotel. No need to take the shuttle bus which takes you to CDG #1. <BR> <BR>Mom and I did get to meet 8 others (Kathy and Carl, Catherine and Peter, Joy and Mark, Michele and Joan) from this Fodors web site (see my other posting "Monica's back and we did get a bigger table!") We enjoyed meeting all of them and I wouldn't mind doing that again on my next trip. <BR> <BR>Email me directly for any other information! Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. You have all been a great help.

Old May 19th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Monica

I've received 2 emails directly about the weather, so I thought I'd post it here. My trip was from th 4th - 17th. <BR> <BR>We did have a few days of weather in the <BR>low 70's and sunshine and lots of cool days in the low to mid 60s. In the evenings it was cold, especially in Normandy where it got to the high 50s. It rained maybe twice while we were there: once in the late afternoon, and the other in the a.m. while we were driving to Mont St Michel. Then it stopped by the time we got there. A light jacket will do for most people, though we did see some wearing sweaters. <BR> <BR>

Old May 19th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Bev

Hi Monica! Glad you had such a wonderful trip. I would be very interested in learning the names of the restaurants you ate at. The prices you mentioned seem to be much more reasonable than some prices I have been reading in guide books. I'm sure others would be interested in the same information. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm planning to stay at the Hotel Familia. Hope it's as good as your hotels.

Old May 19th, 1999, 11:25 AM
Sara

Hi Monica! I had a question about ATMs in Paris - are they available all over? I just returned from Rome/Florence last week and used my ATM card all the time without any problem. I would like to do so again when I travel to Paris this October. Thanks in advance for the info!

Old May 19th, 1999, 02:39 PM
Sally

What hotel did you stay at in Bayeux?We are thinking of staying at the Notre Dame across from the Cathedral. Did you stay at a hotel in Mont Saint Michel?Did you stay in Chartres?

Old May 19th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Monica

Hi Bev, <BR> <BR>The names of the restaurants we ate at were (these were menus and they either came with wine or we bought a bottle of wine): <BR> <BR>- Aux Gourmets des Arts (paid $39) 5th Arr. <BR>- Au Petit Prince (paid about $56, no dessert) 6th Arr. <BR>- Le Bistrot de Breteuil (paid $62); one of our favorite and best restaurants 7th Arr. <BR>- Bistrot Le P'tit Troquet (paid $72) 7th Arr. <BR>- Le Bistrod du 7'eme (paid $47) 7th Arr. <BR>- Restaurant des Beaux Arts (paid approx $53, included a $22 bottle of wine as we splurged on our last night) <BR>These were from the Cheap Eats in Paris Book. <BR> <BR>Catherine and Peter stayed at Hotel Familia and they said it was nice but the walls were THIN! They could hear their neighbors. <BR> <BR>Sara, we had no problems finding ATM machines throughout France. You'll be fine! Definitely use them for your purchases where places won't take credit cards, and use your credit cards for your hotels, restaurants, and larger shopping. <BR> <BR>Sally, we stayed at a very nice hotel in Bayeux called Hotel D'Argouges. Phone number is 33-2-31-92-69-16. We paid $222.51 for 3 nights. The room was large with a queen bed and twin bed with a large bathroom (tub with shower 'hose.' The hotel is close to the Plaza Sain Patrice on the same named street (great Saturday market!) We took a taxi from the train station (about $6; 7 minute ride). Let me know if you'd like the names of the restaurants we ate in because they were good! <BR> <BR>No, we did not stay at Mont St Michel or Chartres. I got my photos back today and am pleased with my photos of St Michel! We were in Chartres back in October 1997 and loved seeing the Cathedral and walking around the area. <BR> <BR>Any other questions, I'll be happy to answer!! <BR> <BR>Ciao. <BR> <BR>

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:00 AM
Judy

Hi Monica, <BR> <BR>I'm going to Paris in a month and just wanted to know how you liked driving your rented car in Normandy. Did you have any problems getting around? How were the street signs? Any information is greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old May 20th, 1999, 12:29 PM
Monica

Hi Judy, <BR> <BR>I did well driving in Normandy. The roads were very good and there were plenty of signs to get to where I was going. <BR> <BR>The only problem was filling up my car. I had gone to one gas pump thinking I could use my credit card: wrong! I moved to the next pump and (I was told to use unleaded) that didn't work either. The car was "rigged" to take super only. The nozzle to the unleaded didn't fit in, so I ended up paying more than I expected (about $26 for just over 1/2 tank!). <BR> <BR>The French drivers around me drove fast, but always in their lanes. Not like the drivers in Italy! <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR> <BR>PS: When checking out car rental companies, ask for discounts. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 21st, 1999, 04:58 AM
Judy

Thanks Monica for the information!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 08:23 AM
Marilyn Brady

Hi Monica -- <BR>Sounds like a wonderful trip. I am travelling to Paris in July with my 78 year old father and two children ages 7 and 9. Dad has some mobility problems -- any insights on using a wheelchair? Did you see many? He can walk for short distances (1/2 mile) without any problems, but after that things can get tough. Also, anything we shouldn't miss with the kids? They are pretty easygoing, very well-behaved and will eat almost anything! We are planning a day at Versailles. We're also planning on seeing the Eiffel Tower (of course!), Gardens at the Rodin, Musee d'Orsay, and the Catacombs if they're open (were they still renovating the catacombs when you were there?) We will also do a boat trip down the Seine. Any suggestions on a nicer tour? Thanks for your help!!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 10:44 AM
Monica

Hello Marilyn, <BR> <BR>Yes, we did have a wonderful time in Paris. You'll all love it too! <BR> <BR>As for your Father being in a wheelchair, I did see a couple of people in wheelchairs. The museums have elevators and ramps to some of the entrance areas. You may have problems using the metro system and may have to use taxis. From what I understand the taxis aren't too expensive, but someone will have to verify that. <BR> <BR>A friend of mine who I met for dinner one night went to the Catacombs and didn't care for it. It's a LONG narrow, low ceiling walk. He said after seeing a few hundred bones, he was ready to get out. But apparently you can't turn around and go back. Your kids may like that. <BR> <BR>There are many museums to see in Paris. There is the science museum that your kids should love. Kids at your age may get tired of the other museums. The Eiffel Tower will be great for all of you. I only had to wait in line for about 15 minutes. It was about $9.50 to get to the 3rd/top level. Fabulous views! <BR> <BR>And a Seine boat ride should be fun. I missed doing that. Never enough time in Paris! <BR> <BR>If your kids (and you too) are interested in archeology, go to the crypt at Notre-Dame. You can see some excavations of Pre-Paris. Very interesting. <BR> <BR>Also, as a reminder, if you plan to visit the museums, Versailles, etc, get the 3 day museum pass (or 1 or 5 day pass). The pass is also good for Fontainebleau, which is LESS crowded than Versailles. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the dining in Paris. We had great meals (and wines, and desserts!). <BR> <BR>Any other questions, email me directly. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 23rd, 1999, 05:36 PM
Dayle

Marilyn, our group of 4 found that there are very few taxis in Paris that will take 4 passengers. Some will, but you will be passed over by the drivers who will take the parties of 1,2 or 3 who are standing behind you at the taxi stands. They will also charge you extra for your Dad's chair, as they do for luggage. In a pinch, you could split up.