Reload this Page >

Back from Athens & Mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 01:16 PM
Bill Barr

Home today and happy to help with any questions etc. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jun 20th, 1999, 11:15 PM
joelle

Bonjour ! We would love to get some recommendations on the Greek restaurants you may have tried in Athens and Mykonos, since we shall be going in August. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:50 PM
Bill Barr

Joelle <BR> <BR> <BR>In Athens our favourite restaurant is Socrates' Prison. Unfortunatelky I don't ahve the address but I can tell you that it is close to the Herodes Atticas Theatre. Fantastic Greek food. <BR> <BR>In Mykonos try Antonini's or El Greco's. Both are in the town centre and serve very good authentic island food.You won't have a problem finding them as the town is pretty small and the locals (and visitors) will help you. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps, <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 12:51 PM
Bill Barr

Joelle <BR> <BR> <BR>In Athens our favourite restaurant is Socrates' Prison. Unfortunatelky I don't ahve the address but I can tell you that it is close to the Herodes Atticas Theatre. Fantastic Greek food. <BR> <BR>In Mykonos try Antonini's or El Greco's. Both are in the town centre and serve very good authentic island food.You won't have a problem finding them as the town is pretty small and the locals (and visitors) will help you. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps, <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:59 PM
john

Just got back from Greece and found a great place in Mykonos called the Oasis Garden, run by a very friendly Egyptian guy, El Greco is also very good. Enjoy!! <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 11:38 PM
joelle

Merci Messieurs! Another question: what about Santorini? Would you have more recommendations? <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 03:32 AM
Maira

Bill--- when is the best month to visit Greece? What day trips you did in Mykonos? What other nearby island would you recommend for a stay?

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 08:49 AM
Bill Barr

Joelle <BR> <BR>My apologies but I've only taken day trips to Santorini from Crete so can't make any recommendations. Hopefully some of the other regulars here will. <BR> <BR>Maira <BR> <BR>I'm a reasonably regular visitor to Greece and always make sure it is in May, June or September. Weather is still great and you avoid the Meltemi which is usually bad in July and August. <BR> <BR>There aren't many day trips from Mykonos but I would receommend Delos, of course. This is only 15 minutes in a small ferry and is a 'must see'. <BR> <BR>You could also pay a visit to Tinos which is around a one hour sail. A huge contrast to Mykonos and most definately not too tourist orientated. This island is regarded as almost sacred and is visited regulalrly by pilgrims from all over Greece. <BR> <BR>You could also try the 2 1/2 hour trip to Syros. Again, a different type of island to the other two. Maybe a little more isolated but very friendly people and a spectacular ferry port. <BR> <BR>One thing to remember though that if you intend visiting the last two is to check carefully the return ferry times. If you take an early morning ferry to each you probably won't get another back to Mykonos for at lest 6 or 7 hours. <BR> <BR>As to recommending another island that's kind of difficult without knowing whether you want peace and quiet or something similar to Mykonos. Let me know and I'll post my suggestions. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps <BR> <BR>Bill